This Chickpea Meditterean Salad is packed with fresh veggies, ready in less than 15 minutes, and bursting with flavor from fresh herbs, lemon, and feta cheese. Use it as a side dish or main dish, plus it's great for meal prep.
This easy Mediterranean Salad is made with a vibrant combination of fresh veggies, herbs, chickpeas, and feta cheese, all tossed in a flavorful homemade vinaigrette.
Serve it on its own or pair it with your favorite protein for the perfect healthy side dish, lunch, or dinner.
Mediterranean cuisine is all about bright colors and fresh flavors. From gyros to falafel and everything in between, I have always absolutely loved everything about the food from this part of the world.
As much as I enjoy dining out, you can easily make your own versions of these dishes at home as I’ve done with this super simple salad.
The great thing about this Meditteranean Salad is that it’s loaded with fresh veggies, herbs, tangy feta cheese. It covers all the bases when it comes to nutrition - protein, fiber, healthy fats, and lots of veggies.
You can meal prep a large batch of this dish to enjoy as a healthy lunch. Or serve up a big bowl for dinner alongside grilled chicken or fish. Or turn it into a healthy grain bowl, like these easy Mediterranean Bowls.
Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or serving dinner for the family, this flavorful chickpea salad makes the perfect addition to any meal.
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To bring this flavorful salad to life, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Chickpeas: Packed with an abundance of protein and fiber, chickpeas are a staple in Mediterranean cuisine. If you aren't a fan of garbanzo beans, swap in white beans,
- Veggies: You will need Persian cucumbers, red and green bell peppers, and red onions for this recipe. They all add a ton of flavor, gorgeous colors, and a delightful crunch. Other options include celery, slice cabbage, carrots, or green beans.
- Kalamata olives: These salty little fruits (yes, they’re fruits!) add a depth of richness that perfectly balances out the fresh flavors in this salad. Feel free to swap in another olive if you like.
- Parsley: Fresh herbs add a ton of bright and beautiful flavor to this dish. If you don’t have parsley, you can use another fresh herb like dill, mint, or cilantro.
- Feta cheese: This tangy cheese adds great flavor and a creamy texture to the salad. It can also be swapped out for goat cheese if needed.
- Olive oil: Loaded with heart-healthy fats, we use extra virgin olive oil as the base of our homemade vinaigrette.
- Red wine vinegar: This is an essential part of our homemade vinaigrette that adds acidity to the dish, which brightens up the rest of our salad ingredients.
Recipe Variations and Ideas
Here are some of my favorite ways to switch up this dish:
- Add a protein source. While this dish is delicious and nutrient-rich on its own, you can beef it up by adding your favorite lean protein source. Some of my top choices include grilled chicken, salmon, and shrimp.
- Use a different herb. Fresh herbs are the key to adding tons of delicious flavor, but you don’t always have to use parsley. Try switching it up with another fresh herb like dill, cilantro, or mint. Any of these would work well in this salad.
- Switch up the veggies. If you have any vegetables in your fridge that need to be used up, feel free to toss them into this salad. Some options you could use include tomatoes, arugula, spinach, carrots, green onions, and shallots.
- Swap out the dressing. I like to whip up a simple vinaigrette to pair with this salad, but you could add Greek yogurt or dijon mustard to make it a creamier dressing. You could also use your favorite store-bought Greek salad dressing or make this homemade creamy dressing.
- Add nuts or seeds. To make this salad even more filling and add healthy fats or omega-3s, try adding some nuts or seeds like almonds, pumpkin seeds, or hemp seeds.
- Make it a pasta salad. This dish works great as a pasta salad too, so feel free to bulk it up with your favorite type of pasta! My top choices are penne and orzo.
What to Serve With This Dish
Easy Mediterranean Salad makes for a wonderful easy lunch all by itself, but for a dinner with the family or a gathering with friends, there are tons of delicious dishes you can pair it with.
Here are some of my favorite dishes to enjoy it with:
- Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
- Grilled Turkey Lula Kebabs
- Healthy Greek Meatballs
- Skillet Lemon Oregano Chicken
- Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes and Feta
How to Store Mediterranean Salad
If you wind up with leftovers of this tasty salad, you’re in luck! It stores incredibly well and actually develops even more flavor after a day or two.
To store this dish, simply transfer it to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you have extra dressing that you haven’t used in the salad, you can store it separately in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
Can I add protein to this salad?
While chickpeas are packed with protein, you can absolutely add more protein to this salad if you want to. Some of my favorite protein sources to use in this dish include grilled chicken, fish, and shrimp.
For a vegetarian option, try adding tofu or pasta.
Can I use store-bought salad dressing?
Absolutely. If you don’t want to make your own dressing or don’t have the right ingredients, you can use a store-bought vinaigrette or Greek salad dressing instead.
What can I use instead of feta cheese?
If you don’t have feta cheese or aren’t a fan, you can easily substitute it for goat cheese or blue cheese instead. For a dairy-free and vegan option, feel free to leave out the cheese altogether.
Is Mediterranean salad healthy?
Yes! This salad is packed with fresh veggies, herbs, and a homemade vinaigrette; all of which are filled with tons of beneficial nutrients.
More Healthy Recipes With Chickpeas
Like this recipe? Try these healthy chickpea recipes next:
Easy Mediterranean Salad
- Get in your Inbox
- 30 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (or cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Salt and pepper (kosher is best)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.