Easy Turkey Pinwheels filled with cream cheese, deli turkey, cheddar cheese, and dried cranberries are the perfect appetizer or make-ahead lunch.
Made with wholesome ingredients like deli turkey, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and dried cranberries, these Turkey Pinwheels are as healthy as they are delicious. With under 5 minutes of prep time and zero cooking required, this recipe is the perfect choice for easy snacks and meal preps. Looking for a vegetarian option? Try these Cream Cheese Pinwheels with Vegetables.
I love to cook as much as the next food blogger, but every once in a while I really don’t feel like cooking at all. Whether it’s a particularly busy day or I’m just feeling a little lazy, sometimes the idea of dirtying up a bunch of dishes and cooking up a meal just doesn’t sound appealing at all.
Recipes like this one are perfect for those times, because they don’t require any cooking and are perfect for snacking on or taking on trips. Whether you’re going for a hike or making a day trip to the beach, all you have to do is seal up your pinwheels in a bag or small container and you have a delicious on-the-go lunch.
These Turkey Pinwheels are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser at any occasion. Try them out at your next baby shower, birthday party, or backyard barbecue—just don’t expect to bring home any leftovers, these babies go quick!
Made simply with just a few wholesome ingredients, this delicious recipe comes together in no time at all. The key ingredients you will need include:
- Low carb or whole wheat tortilla: This holds our tasty pinwheels together! If your tortilla feels stiff, microwave it for 10-15 seconds to soften it up so it won’t tear.
- Deli turkey: You can use the sliced deli turkey of your choice. I typically go for the oven-roasted kind. You could also swap in deli ham, roast beef, or chicken.
- Cheddar cheese: A classic! This is the perfect cheese to pair with deli turkey, in my opinion, but you can swap it out for another if you prefer something else.
- Cream cheese: I use light cream cheese for this recipe and soften it before using. To soften, simply microwave it for 10 seconds or leave it on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Dried cranberries: These add the perfect touch of sweetness to our otherwise savory pinwheels. Golden raisins, apricots, dates, and cherries are also delicious. For a fresh option, use diced apples or pears.
Why You’ll Love These Turkey Pinwheels
I know you’re going to love this recipe and these are just a few of the reasons why:
- Easy to make
- No cooking required
- Packed with delicious flavors
- Made with wholesome ingredients
- Perfect for meal prep
- Makes a delicious snack, appetizer, or lunch
Serving, Storage, and Substitutions
Here are some of my favorite tips on serving, storage, and substitutions:
- If you want to add a little heat to your pinwheels, try using pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
- Don’t have dried cranberries at home? No problem. You can sub these out for raisins or just leave this part out altogether.
- If you want to try this recipe with a different protein, deli sliced chicken or ham both work well too.
- For a presentation that guarantees to impress at your next event, serve these pinwheels on a large platter along fresh chopped vegetables and a dipping sauce like Ranch dressing or hummus.
- To store pinwheels in the fridge, transfer them to an airtight bag or container and store them for up to 3-4 days.
- Alternatively, you can store these pinwheels in the freezer in an airtight bag or container for up to 1-2 months.
More Tasty Pinwheel Ideas
You can make delicious pinwheels in a variety of ways. The options are endless, so get creative and switch it up as you see fit! For some inspiration, here are some of my favorite pinwheel combinations:
- Ham + Swiss Cheese + Spinach + Mayonnaise
- Prosciutto + Mozzarella + Arugula + Dijon Mustard
- Roast Beef + Provolone + Creamy Horseradish
- Feta + Cream Cheese + Dried Cranberries + Green Onions
- Pepperoni + Salami + Cream Cheese + Italian Seasoning + Mixed Greens
- Bacon + Cheddar Cheese + Diced Tomatoes + Ranch Dressing
- Spinach + Artichokes + Cream Cheese + Sour Cream + Parmesan
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes + Parmesan + Cream Cheese + Basil + Spinach
- Banana Slices + Peanut Butter + Honey
- Strawberry Slices + Nutella + Honey
- Raspberry Preserves + Cream Cheese + Lemon Zest
- Peanut Butter + Nutella + Banana Slices
Frequently Asked Questions
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about Turkey Pinwheels:
Why are they called pinwheels?
It’s believed that the name ‘pinwheels’ was first inspired by the children’s toy, which consists of colorful paper or plastic pieces attached to a stick that spin in circles in the wind. These pinwheels are similar in that the appearance of the snack looks like it spins around in circles, just like toy pinwheels.
Can pinwheels be made the night before?
Absolutely! Pinwheels work great for meal prep. You can make them the night before, transfer them to an airtight bag or container, then enjoy them the next day when you’re ready.
How do you keep pinwheels from getting soggy?
If you’re storing your pinwheels for later, you can help prevent them from getting soggy by placing a paper towel in the bag or container they’re in. This trick works great for keeping moist foods from getting soggy, as the paper towel absorbs a lot of the moisture.
What can I use instead of turkey?
In place of deli turkey, you can use deli sliced ham, roast beef, or chicken. For a vegetarian option, leave out the meat altogether and make veggie pinwheels.
Can you freeze turkey pinwheels?
Yes! To freeze turkey pinwheels, simply transfer them to an airtight bag or container and store them in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
What can I use instead of cream cheese?
If you don’t have cream cheese or would prefer to use something else, you can sub it out for another cream-based alternative. Great options include mayonnaise, Ranch dressing, Greek yogurt, herb cheese spreads, or another spreadable cheese like Babybell or Boursin. For a dairy-free swap, you can use hummus instead, but keep in mind this will change the flavor profile of the pinwheels.
More Healthy Lunch Recipes:
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.