These tasty Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes make the perfect easy meal with spicy buffalo chicken stuffed into baked sweet potatoes with a drizzle of ranch dressing. Jump to Recipe
This Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes dish is healthy and packed with flavor. The sweet potatoes are perfectly tender, while the chicken is juicy and saucy. These take minimal effort to put together, but they’re always a hit in my household!
This entire dish involves almost no prep time. All you need to do is wash and bake your sweet potatoes, as well as combine a few ingredients for the sauce for your chicken. All the work happens in the oven. Assembly is quick and easy.
One of the best ways to take chicken to the next level is to add some buffalo sauce to it! Stuff it into a tender sweet potato and you’ve got yourself an easy, flavorful dish perfect for a weeknight.
I love cooking with sweet potatoes because they’re nutritious, delicious, and versatile. They’re easy to prep and taste great.
This buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes recipe is my go-to on a busy evening! It’s fast, healthy, and delicious all wrapped up in one dish.
You need less than 10 ingredients to make this dish! Here are a few of the key ingredients you’ll need:
- Sweet Potatoes: They’re high in Vitamin A and have a delicate sweetness to them. They’re the perfect vehicle for your buffalo chicken.
- Cooked Chicken: This is a great way to use any leftover rotisserie chicken you may have. You could also quickly bake or poach chicken specially for this dish relatively quickly.
- Buffalo Sauce: I like to use Frank’s because it’s a classic! Use your favorite brand.
- Seasonings: I add garlic powder and onion powder for a little extra depth of flavor.
- Green Onions: They add some nice brightness to the final dish.
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this dish, scroll to the bottom!
What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
To ensure you and your family get your greens, pair your buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes with a healthy kale Caesar or crispy baked broccoli.
Buffalo and blue cheese are a match made in heaven, so you could also opt for a classic wedge salad.
Garlic parmesan roasted cauliflower is also a tasty healthy side that would be delicious with this dish.
Recipe Tips And Ideas
This recipe is simple, healthy, and delicious. Here are a few tips to keep in mind to nail this dish:
- You can bake your sweet potatoes, or to save time, microwave them! Once they’re fork tender, they’re ready.
- Shred your chicken breast or chop into thin strips so it sops up the buffalo sauce and seasonings.
- Drizzle with a light ranch dressing for some creaminess.
- For blue cheese lovers, drizzle with blue cheese dressing or top with blue cheese crumbles.
- Garnish with freshly chopped green onions for some brightness.
- Get inspired by traditional buffalo wing sides and serve it with thinly sliced celery and carrots for crunch.
Frequently Asked Questions About Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Here are some of the most common questions I get from readers!
Can sweet potatoes be cooked with their skin on?
Yes! It is actually recommended that you keep the skin on sweet potatoes as you cook them because it helps them retain more of their nutrients. The skin is easy to peel off after they’re cooked. Keeping it on for serving provides a nice vessel for the flesh of the potato and the buffalo chicken in this recipe.
How long do sweet potatoes keep?
Uncooked sweet potatoes generally keep for about 3 weeks in your pantry or 3 months in your fridge. If you see any discoloration on the skin or they are soft to the touch, the sweet potato is spoiled and should not be consumed.
How much chicken should you serve per portion of stuffed sweet potatoes?
In this recipe, I call for 4 sweet potatoes and 3 cups of cooked chicken. About 3/4 of a cup of chicken is a good portion for a single serving of this dish!
How long do buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes keep in the fridge?
This depends on the chicken you’re using. Generally, cooked chicken keeps for 3 days in the fridge. If you’re using last night’s leftover rotisserie chicken to make this dish, then this dish will keep for 2 more days! Store buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What is the best way to reheat stuffed sweet potatoes?
For the best flavor and texture, reheat this dish in the oven. Simply place your stuffed sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and insert into a 350°F oven. Heat until fully warmed through, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Can I freeze these?
While it is not ideal to freeze the assembled buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes, you can definitely freeze the components of this dish. Here’s how you can freeze this dish.
- Let both the cooked sweet potato and chicken cool.
- Wrap each sweet potato individually with foil and place them into plastic food bags.
- Place the cooked shredded chicken into a plastic bag. Press the air out and seal.
- To enjoy, thaw in the fridge overnight within 4 months.
- Assemble and reheat!
More Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love:
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U medium sweet potatoes
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (like Frank’s or Whole30 complaint)
- 1 tbsp melted butter (or ghee)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.