This easy Chimichurri sauce is full of flavor from a delicious combination of parsley, garlic, and olive oil. It tastes great on grilled meats, vegetables, and even eggs. Easy to make and so tasty. Jump to Recipe
Made with bright and savory ingredients like parsley, olive oil, and red wine vinegar; this authentic Chimichurri recipe is packed with fresh flavors. Serve it on top of dishes like steak, chicken, and seafood to instantly take your meal to the next level.
If you’ve never tried Chimichurri before, then you’re in for a treat. It’s beyond easy to make, yet packed with incredible flavors. Many people think of this popular oil-based condiment as the South American version of pesto, made with fresh herbs, garlic, and vinegar that allow it to really pop.
Chimichurri is most commonly used as a dressing for grilled meats, but it’s versatile enough that you can pair it with any savory dish that you want to upgrade. I love using this flavorful condiment as a topping for foods like steak, chicken, tacos, and even roasted potatoes or vegetables. No matter what you pair it with, I guarantee it’s going to blow your mind. Soon enough, you’ll be putting chimichurri on everything.
This game-changing condiment can be made in just a few minutes, so it’s perfect for any occasion from weeknight family dinners to large social gatherings. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think!
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is an oil-based condiment that originates from Argentina and Uruguay. It’s traditionally used to dress grilled meats like steak or chicken and is packed with delicious, fresh flavors.
Fresh parsley is the key ingredient, soaked in a combination of olive oil and vinegar for a rich and tangy flavor profile. It’s typically accompanied by oregano, garlic, and chilies, or red pepper flakes.
Chimichurri brings a ton of bright, herbaceous flavors to otherwise rich and heavy dishes to balance out the flavors in a really beautiful way. Between the vibrant aromatics and fresh, punchy flavors, chimichurri is an incredible and easy way to upgrade any savory dish.
My favorite food to eat chimichurri with is steak, but you could pair it with any type of meat or potatoes, roasted vegetables, and even eggs.
This simple recipe is made with under 10 ingredients, most of which you probably already have at home. To bring this flavorful dish to life, the key ingredients you will need include:
- Parsley: Fresh parsley is an absolute must in this recipe. Dried parsley wouldn’t do it any justice, trust me on this!
- Oregano: No need for fresh with this one, dried oregano works perfectly fine.
- Olive oil: Make sure to use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil, as this is the base of the dish so you want it to be a tasty one.
- Red wine vinegar: This brightens up the whole dish and gives it a beautiful tangy flavor.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves add a ton of aromatics and a rich, pungent flavor to the dish.
Tips for Making the Best Chimichurri Sauce
Here are some of my top recipe tips for this dish:
- Serve this condiment on top of steak, chicken, pork, seafood, potatoes, cooked vegetables, or eggs. You could also add it to tacos, salads, and even as a dipping sauce for bread. Get creative and have fun with it!
- If you want more of a kick, you can add finely chopped red chilies to the chimichurri before serving.
- Feel free to adjust the measurements to suit your taste preferences. If you like a more strong garlic flavor, add a few more cloves. If you like more oil or salt or vinegar, adjust as needed. You can adjust this recipe to make it your own.
- If you don’t have a food processor or blender at home, don’t worry. Just make sure to finely chop your parsley, shallot, and garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- If you don’t have shallots at home, feel free to substitute them for red onion.
- Feel free to omit the red pepper flakes if you don’t like spicy food.
- If you don’t have red wine vinegar, you can substitute it for lemon juice or white vinegar. Keep in mind, this will slightly alter the flavor profile of the dish.
How to Store This Dish
This dish can be stored in the fridge in an airtight jar or container for up to 1 week. To make it last even longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. To store chimichurri in the freezer, I recommend freezing it in an ice cube tray. Once the chimichurri has been frozen into cubes, you can transfer the cubes to an airtight bag and then thaw them overnight in the fridge when you’re ready to use them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
What do you put chimichurri sauce on?
You can put chimichurri on any savory dish! It’s most commonly paired with grilled meats like steak, chicken, pork, or seafood; as well as cooked vegetables, potatoes, and eggs. You can also add it to salads, tacos, burritos, and anything else you can think of. Here are some favorite pairings:
Is this dish healthy?
Absolutely. Made with a base of olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh herbs, and garlic, this dish is loaded with healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. With that said, olive oil is high in calories so be mindful of portion size.
Can you freeze chimichurri?
Yes, you can freeze this dish for up to 3 months. I recommend carefully pouring the condiment into an ice cube tray and freezing it into cubes. Then, you can transfer the frozen chimichurri cubes into an airtight bag and keep it in the freezer until you’re ready to use them.
What’s the difference between pesto and chimichurri?
Both pesto and chimichurri are made with a base of olive oil and green herbs, so the resulting sauce is similar in appearance. While the two may look similar, the key difference between pesto and chimichurri is that the signature flavor profile of chimichurri is achieved by adding vinegar.
More Healthy Sauce Recipes
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 cup fresh parsley, packed (no stems)
- 1 U small shallot
- 2 U cloves garlic (more to taste, up to 4)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (more as needed)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.