Crispy Buttermilk Chicken
Easy crispy buttermilk chicken that is oven fried for a healthier spin on fried chicken that you are sure to love.
There are few things more delicious than buttermilk fried chicken...that is until you realize that just one piece of chicken could have over 500 calories. However, with some creativity, you can create a similar dish at home for half the calories.
Now don't get me wrong, this isn't fried chicken. But I promise it is a juicy, delicious, crispy chicken that makes a super tasty, family friendly dinner. The buttermilk ensures that the chicken comes out super tender with just a hint of buttermilk flavor. The flour gives it a crispy coating that is a nice alternative to breadcrumbs since it creates that thin, crispy exterior that's more like traditional fried chicken. Lastly the quick pan-frying ensures the coating is browned and crisp, which can be hard to do just in the oven.
Depending on your dietary preferences you can use all-purpose flour (the most traditional), whole wheat flour, almond flour, or even coconut flour for the breading. You can season up the breading and buttermilk with spices, herbs, or hot sauce. You can serve it with all your favorite fried chicken sides like this coleslaw or mashed potatoes and enjoy a lightened up Southern meal.
Why is buttermilk good for chicken?
There is a reason that Southern cooks have been soaking their chicken in buttermilk for years. Buttermilk, which is slightly acidic, is one of the best options for ensuring a tender and moist chicken. The acid is the buttermilk helps to break down some of the protein in the chicken, which ensures that the chicken isn't tough. It's also less acidic than lemon juice or vinegar so you don't have to worry about breaking down the chicken too much.
What to serve with buttermilk chicken?
There are so many different ways to serve this chicken from making a homemade crispy chicken salad to serving it with all the traditional fried chicken sides. Here are some side dishes you will often find on our table.
- Since I going to be baking the chicken, often I will start roasting some vegetables as well since they can cook in the oven together. Brussels sprouts and cabbage are two that pair nicely with the chicken.
- Green beans are a Southern staple and these 10 Minute Garlic Green Beans are a tasty way to add veggies to this meal.
- Instead of traditional mashed potatoes or fries, consider making these Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes. This recipe works with carrots as well for a lower carb and calorie option.
- This chicken couldn't be more delicious over a big bed of salad greens, crunchy cucumbers, sweet tomatoes, some shredded cheddar cheese and a generous drizzle of homemade ranch dressing.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
- Think about the breading for this chicken as a blank canvas and add spices, herbs, and other seasoning. Cajun seasoning will add some spice. Try a steak or poultry seasoning to add some herbal flavors as well as a kick of black pepper. Something simple like seasoned salt (I love Lawry's), will add all sorts of flavor to this dish.
- Another option for kicking up flavor is adding flavor to the buttermilk. Hot sauce is the most common and a mainstay of many fried chicken recipes. Soy sauce can add some salty, umami flavor. You can also add fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme right into the buttermilk to add flavor.
- For a healthier oil option, use avocado oil or coconut oil. They both cook well at high temperatures.
- Make sure to let the chicken fully brown before flipping it when you are cooking it in the pan. If you flip it too soon, the breading will come off.
- This will also work with chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks, but you may need to adjust the cooking time.
What if I don't have buttermilk? Can I make it?
If you don't have buttermilk, it's actually really easy to make at home with milk and fresh lemon juice or vinegar. Here's what to do:
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
- Mix them together and let sit for 5 minutes. The milk may begin to curdle slightly. Don't worry about that, it's now ready to use in place of the buttermilk.
More quick and easy chicken recipes
Crispy Buttermilk Chicken
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.33 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.