A simple and healthy Honey Garlic Chicken and Asparagus made on a sheet pan that takes less than 10 minutes to cook will be a hit with the whole family. Jump to Recipe
This easy Honey Garlic Chicken and Asparagus is a weeknight staple since it uses simple ingredients you likely have at home. Plus it is ready in less than twenty minutes. Love this combo? Make sure to check out this One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken and Asparagus and Sheet Pan Honey Mustard Chicken.
Chicken and asparagus and a dreamy honey mustard garlic sauce. This dish is so so good and couldn't be easier to make. It is fresh, healthy, and kid friendly and is regularly part of our weeknight dinner rotation since everyone loves it. I make it with all kinds of vegetables depending on what I have on hand and usually serve it with quinoa, brown rice, or a baked potato. Plus since I love variation, there are tons of easy ways to customize this and change up the flavors.
Before we dig into ways to customize this chicken and asparagus recipe, let's talk about the sauce because it is one I constantly use in the kitchen. It's made with a combination of honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), and olive oil. And let me tell you, it tastes amazing on everything. I use it on salmon, pork, chicken, tofu, and veggies. I even use it as a stir-fry sauce. This stuff is seriously simple and seriously tasty.
Honey Garlic Chicken and Asparagus Recipe Ideas
- Make it spicy: If you like things on the spicy side, add red pepper flakes to the sauce. It will add a nice amount of heat to the dish. Sriracha also works for an Asian twist.
- Switch out the veggies: This recipe will work with all kinds of veggies that are quick cooking. Try things like sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, boy choy, or green beans. You can also use carrots, just make sure to cut them into matchsticks so they cook quickly.
- Change the protein: I really like chicken breasts for this recipe since they stay juicy when they are quickly broiled. However, this can be made with chicken thighs, boneless pork chops, or fish. It also works with extra firm tofu for a vegetarian option.
- Herbs and spices: You can add flavor and depth to the sauce with fresh or dried herbs or your favorite spices. Rosemary and thyme work really well. I also like to sprinkle the chicken with Cajun seasoning to add a touch of spice.
How do you broil chicken breast?
There are a few important steps to take to broil chicken breast. The first and most important is to cut the chicken into thinner cutlet style pieces. Normally chicken breast is too thick for the broiler and you will end up with a burnt outside and raw inside. Instead, you want to cut the chicken into thinner pieces that will cook quickly at the high temperature of broiling. You can do this by cutting a regular chicken breast in half horizontally. You can also just buy chicken cutlets or chicken tenderloins.
The next thing you think about is how long to broil chicken breast. Thin pieces of chicken breast will normally be fully cooked in 6-8 minutes when they are broiled. Once the juices run clear and the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165 degrees, they are ready.
Do you need to blanch the asparagus first?
There is no need to blanch the asparagus before broiling it. Asparagus cooks very quickly and will come out perfect when broiled for 6-8 minutes.
Can I bake this chicken and asparagus?
Absolutely! Prepare the chicken and asparagus the same way and place them on a baking sheet. Then instead of broiling the chicken, bake it at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. If you decide to make this with thighs or bone-in chicken, it will take longer. I recommend adding the asparagus during the last ten minutes of cooking so they don't get mushy.
Can I make this as a skillet chicken and asparagus?
This recipe works great in a skillet as well. Start by heating some olive oil in a skillet. Brush the chicken with the honey garlic sauce and add it to the pan in a single layer. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes until browned and then flip and repeat on the other side. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the asparagus to the pan and toss with the remaining sauce. Cook for 6-8 minutes until just tender and bright green. Serve alongside the chicken.
Side Dishes for Chicken with Asparagus
- Grains: Since the sauce for this dish is so good, normally I will just serve it alongside couscous, brown rice, or quinoa. The grains soak up some of the extra sauce and it's delicious. Cauliflower rice is also a good option for a lower carb or Paleo meal.
- Mashed Cauliflower: In colder months, I often serve this with some mashed cauliflower, mashed butternut squash, or mashed potatoes.
- Potatoes: Our family loves potatoes so they are a popular choice. When I am pressed for time I make simple baked regular or sweet potatoes. When I have more time I will make my favorite easy roasted potatoes.
Honey Garlic Chicken and Asparagus
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cutlets
- 2 cups asparagus
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika (regular, smoked, or hot)
- Salt and pepper
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.