Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa are packed with sweet and spicy flavors from an easy homemade spice rub for the shrimp and the best mango and black bean salsa on top.
These easy Mango Shrimp Tacos are a delicious, quick, and healthy meal that will make any taco night something special. Other Taco Tuesday ideas include Steak Tacos, Grilled Chicken Tacos, and Fish Tacos.
This is one of those meals that you will start to crave on a weekly basis, especially during the warm weather months. It's light and refreshing and easy. Plus the combination of sweet mango salsa and spicy, smoky shrimp is just so good.
We are partial to serving it in warm corn tortillas with shrimp taco sauce but it's good enough to eat on its own, over rice, in lettuce wraps, or thrown on a nice bowl of greens.
There are two things that make this shrimp taco recipe really shine. The first is the quick homemade spice rub. It's made with spices you already have in your pantry like chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and oregano. It's smoky and spicy and delish. You could also take a shortcut and just use your favorite taco seasoning.
Then comes the mango salsa. The sweetness of the mango is perfect to stand up against the spiciness of the shrimp. To that, you will add some black beans, cilantro, red onion, and plenty of lime juice. It's exactly what you want to eat with the shrimp. Plus once you learn to make it, you can serve it with anything from chips to chicken to pork or grilled salmon.
How to Make Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
When it comes to easy meals, these tacos are at the top of the list. Here's what you need to do:
- Season the shrimp: Start by getting the shrimp tossed with olive oil, lime juice, and spice rub. Letting them marinate in this mixture for 15 minutes will greatly enhance the flavor. Thue are also delicious with Cajun shrimp like in this shrimp taco recipe.
- Make the mango salsa: Make the black bean and mango salsa. Start by chopping everything and then toss it together. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and more lime juice as needed.
- Prepare toppings: Prep any extra toppings you want to serve with the tacos. For us, this usually includes diced avocado, some cabbage slaw with lime juice, extra cilantro, and extra cilantro.
- Warm the tortillas: Get your corn tortillas ready to go. The best way to heat them up is right on the flame of your gas stove or on a grill.
- Cook the shrimp: Finally cook the shrimp. Add them into a single layer in a hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until pink and opaque. They are finished when they are curled in the shape of a "C." If they get tight and start to form a circle, they are overcooked.
- Assemble the tacos: Finally, assemble the tacos with cooked shrimp, mango salsa, and all your favorite toppings.
Easy Mango Salsa Recipe
Adding mango salsa to your shrimp tacos is always a good idea. The sweet fruit salsa is the perfect complement to the spicy shrimp. This recipe uses a black bean and mango salsa, but you can also use this simple mango salsa instead.
- 2 ripe mangos, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Up to 1 jalapeño, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1-2 limes, juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Directions: Mix everything together and season as needed. If possible, let sit for 30-60 minutes for flavor to combine.
- Recipe ideas: Add avocado, cucumber, black beans, pineapple, or jicama as well.
Side Dishes For Shrimp Tacos
There are so many options when it comes to creating side dishes for shrimp tacos. Here are some of the sides we make most often:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad with fresh lime juice, chili powder, and cheese is always a huge hit.
- Beans are a natural side for tacos and we love these Simple Crockpot Beans.
- If you want something light and healthy, consider making this Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
- For something quick and easy, make this Spicy Corn and Cabbage Slaw.
- Instead of making side dishes, just use the tacos as the main full meal with lots of yummy toppings - avocado, queso fresco, pico de gallo - and then serve some baked tortilla chips on the side.
How to defrost shrimp for tacos?
Let's start by saying that the best way to defrost frozen shrimp is to leave it overnight in the fridge. However, if you need to defrost shrimp more quickly you can do so in about 15 minutes. Start by placing the shrimp in a large bowl in the sink. Fill it with cold water and let the water continue to trickle slowly into the bowl. Check the shrimp after 10 minutes to see if it is defrosted. It will likely take 10-15 minutes. Then just drain out the water and dry the shrimp using a towel.
What is the best shrimp to buy for tacos?
You can use almost any shrimp for tacos, but I recommend using raw medium to large shrimp that have already been peeled and deveined. This keeps the dish affordable since medium and large shrimp tend to be cheaper than the extra large/jumbo. Plus prep is easier since you don't have to spend time removing the shell and deveining the shrimp. You will have to remove the tails, but that is pretty quick and easy.
Also, if you are wondering if you should buy fresh or frozen shrimp, remember that almost all the shrimp you find in supermarkets is previously frozen. Sometimes markets will sell it defrosted, but it's all frozen shrimp unless you are buying it right off a boat. Usually, the bagged frozen shrimp is cheaper than at the fish counter, so I always buy that. One more tip, consider stocking up on shrimp when you see it on sale, and then just keep it frozen until you are ready to use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions about making these shrimp tacos.
If you do not want to make mango salsa, consider swapping in another fruit like pineapple or peaches. You could also make the salsa with cucumbers, avocado, or tomatoes.
If you want to make spicier shrimp tacos, then you can either add more heat to the shrimp seasoning or to the mango salsa. To add it to the shrimp, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix or swap in ancho chili powder. To add spice to the mango salsa, add a diced jalapeno or serrano pepper.
Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Get in your Inbox
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 limes, juice (divided)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 mangos, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds removed for less spice)
- Salt to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.