Healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad made with sweet corn, mayo, jalapenos, Cotija cheese, and lime juice is packed with tons of flavor and tastes like the traditional Mexican street food but lightened up.
Healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad tastes just like the traditional street food but in an easy to eat, healthier salad that makes the perfect side dish or snack.
If you have never had Mexican street corn before, you are missing out. It is basically boiled or roasted corn on the cob that is smothered in mayo, cheese, chili powder, and lime juice. It may sound strange and I was incredible skeptical, but I have been obsessed since my first bite. It is the best combination of sweet, smoky, spicy, and tangy. Your taste buds will thank you.
The cousin to Mexican Elote is Esquites, which is basically the same thing but the corn has been cut off the cob. Personally I prefer this option since it so much easier to eat and less messy than the cob version. It's served in a little cup and can be found all over Mexico at street stands, especially at night.
This Healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad is inspired by those delicious street bites. It takes all the same ingredients and combines them in the perfect salad. I added some jalapeno and cilantro as well for color. I also toned back the chili powder since my kids would be eating it as well, but you could definitely kick it up with extra jalapeno or chili powder.
The other great thing about this recipe is that fact that it is just 100 calories and 1 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints. Since corn is one of the new zero point foods on Weight Watchers, it makes it a great option for building Mexican style side dishes. Mexican has always been a favorite of mine, but with corn and beans being zero points, I find myself eating it more often.
A few notes about this Healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- You can use fresh, canned, or frozen corn. Personally I find frozen corn has the best flavor unless it is the peak of corn season. Make sure to saute it in butter so that the sweetness has a chance to come through.
- Cotija cheese is a Mexican cheese that has a similar taste to feta. If you can't find it, you could use feta or Parmesan cheese in the recipe.
- The spice level is really up you. You can kick up the heat with extra chili powder or jalapenos or tone it way down by just using a touch of paprika.
Looking for more healthy Mexican recipes?
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 14 oz frozen corn
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 oz Cotija cheese
- 1/4 U jalapeno (seeded and finely diced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 U clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 U lime (juice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.