These lasagna cupcakes are a cheesy treat made in crispy wonton wrappers. They are the perfect party food and make a deliciously filling lunch too.
These lasagna cupcakes are a cheesy treat made in crispy wonton wrappers. They are the perfect party food and make a deliciously filling lunch too. Honestly, these bite-sized treats are one of my favorite ways to serve lasagna.
This recipe is inspired by a white lasagna cupcakes recipe I saw recently in Food and Wine. I decided to use my typical veggie lasagna recipe to make my own lasagna cupcakes. It took a couple of tries, but the cupcakes were a big hit in our house.
There are tons of different ways you could make these. I think next time, I will try adding some lean ground beef for a more typical lasagna. The best part of these lasagna cupcakes is that they are incredibly simple to make but still feel really special and fun - no matter the occasion.
What You’ll Need and Easy Swaps
Here is what you need in order to make your own delicious lasagna cupcakes.
- Wonton Wrappers: You'll need 2 wrappers to make each lasagna cup. A package usually has 24 wrappers, so that will make 12 lasagna cups. Skip down to the FAQ's for an idea for making these with zucchini slices.
- Marinara Sauce: Absolutely any marinara or spaghetti sauce will work for this recipe. Choose something that has a lot of flavor. You could also swap in diced tomatoes, just drain them first so the cupcakes don't get soggy.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: you can use part-skim or whole milk mozzarella. All cheese for this recipe should be shredded - you can either shred a block at home or use pre-shredded.
- Ricotta Cheese: Ricotta is a classic ingredient in lasagna, but you can skip it if you aren't a fan. You can also swap in cottage cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese: Use grated parmesan cheese. You only need about 4 tablespoons of it for the entire batch. Romano or pecorino cheese could also work.
- Garlic Cloves: Fresh garlic cloves will taste the best and have the best aroma. You can use garlic powder in a pinch, but it won't have the same full taste.
- Vegetables: I like to include zucchini, red bell pepper, and spinach. You could swap in yellow squash instead of zucchini and use any color bell pepper you like. I like to use fresh spinach. If you use frozen, make sure it is fully defrosted first. Feel free to add any veggies you like. Just saute them until tender and drain any extra liquid.
- Spices: Add your favorite Italian spices to this recipe. I used basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
What To Serve With Lasagna Cupcakes
What you serve with the lasagna cups depends on when or how you are eating them. If you are eating them for lunch, then serve a tasty salad with it, like this Easy Arugula Salad or Spring Mix Salad. You could also serve it with some roasted vegetables.
Recipe Tips And Ideas
Follow these tips to make sure that this lasagna cupcake recipe turns out crispy and delicious every single time!
- Always preheat the oven before you bake them. This way, they will all bake evenly, and the cooking times will be more accurate.
- Prepare all of your vegetable and cheese ingredients before you start to layer them in the cupcake pan. Wonton wrappers tend to dry out quickly, so it's best to use them as fast as you can.
- You will know they are finished baking when the edges of the wonton wrappers are golden brown, and the cheese on top is melted.
- Makes sure to drain off any extra liquid from the vegetables so that the cupcakes don't get soggy.
- Consider adding some cooked lean ground beef, ground turkey, or diced sausage. You could also add veggie crumbles. For a vegetarian protein source, add some chickpeas or white beans.
- If you prefer white lasagna, make these with this tasty cauliflower alfredo.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
What kind of meat can I add to the lasagna cups?
The recipe at the bottom of this post contains no meat. If you want to add some, just use a little less of the veggie mixture. You can use any type of ground meat that you want. This would taste delicious with ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground beef.
How do I store leftovers?
The best way to store leftovers is in the refrigerator. These lasagna cupcakes will soften the wontons over time, so they taste the best when they are fresh out of the oven.
Leftover lasagna cupcakes will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. After three days, the texture will change, and they won't be as appetizing.
Can you make them with zucchini instead of wonton wrappers?
If you want to cut out even more calories, use thinly sliced zucchini instead of wonton wrappers. In fact, using zucchini slices will make this a gluten-free recipe too.
To do this, cut the zucchini into round pieces and place them in the bottom of the muffin tin. Then wrap the long zucchini slices around the inside edge of the muffin pan. Now they look like muffin liners.
Fill the zucchini cups with the lasagna layers and bake.
More Delicious Lasagna Recipes You’ll Love:
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 cup marinara sauce
Spray the muffin tin with nonfat cooking spray and press 1 wonton wrapper into each muffin cup. Then place 1 tsp of ricotta cheese on top of the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle with a few shreds of mozzarella and ½ tsp parmesan cheese. Add in a spoonful of the vegetable mixture and then 1.5 tsp of sauce. Then press in another wonton wrapper and repeat. Sprinkle some extra mozzarella and parmesan on the tops before placing them in the oven.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.