Every year around this time I like to set a fitness goal to keep me on track through the holiday season. With more gatherings focused on food, so many tempting holiday treats, and colder weather coming in; it can be incredibly easy to stay indoors and wrap my extra pounds in winter clothing. So to combat that (and burn extra calories so I can still indulge a bit!), I always set a goal to stay motivated. This year my goal is running a holiday 10K the third week of December. It will ensure that I continue with my weekly runs and don’t go into winter hibernation mode. Do you have any holiday fitness goals?
However knowing that a fitness goal is only one step to setting myself up for success, I also focus on keeping my fridge full of healthy meals and foods over this month. One recipe I make sure to have around (with one in the freezer) is this delicious Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna made with Low Fat Daisy Cottage Cheese instead of ricotta. With 13g of protein and only 90 calories per serving, it’s a healthier addition to this lasagna recipe and serves as a great high protein snack as well. It also doesn't contain many of the preservatives and additives of other brands with less than 4 ingredients. Love that.
One more quick and delicious idea! If you don't feel like making a full lasagna, just mix up the cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and spices and add it to your pasta. You’ll get extra lean protein and all the great flavor or lasagna without all the work.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U zucchini
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 U onion, diced
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. 95% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 lb. 95% lean ground turkey sausage
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 20 oz. marinara sauce
- 15 oz. low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch planks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Blot with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, turkey, and turkey sausage. Brown until no longer pink. For a spicier version, add up to 1 tsp. red pepper flakes.
- Pour in the marinara sauce and add the mushrooms (or other veggies). Simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir together the cottage cheese, Parmesan, Italian spices, and pepper.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and begin assembling the lasagna. Start by adding 1/3 of the sauce to the pan. Cover with a layer of zucchini. Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over. Repeat with sauce, zucchini, and cottage cheese. Add one more layer of sauce and zucchini. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 more minutes until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.