With this simple and easy Zucchini Noodle Bolognese, you won't even miss the pasta. Works great for a gluten-free, Paleo, low carb, or Whole30 diet or anyone looking for a lower calorie option for pasta.
My husband would eat bolognese every night if I would get on board, complete with a huge pile of pasta and a loaf of garlic bread. He was blessed with an amazingly fast metabolism. Unfortunately for me, that just isn't the case, and pasta will never be something I can eat all the time. So when he is craving bolognese, I almost always reach for zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash for me. I actually think I am starting to prefer them to traditional pasta. True story.
Now let's talk about the real star of the show, the bolognese. This simple bolognese is made with crushed tomatoes (I prefer San Marzano), ground turkey, carrots, celery, onions, and plenty of garlic. It simmers gently on the stove and then the zucchini noodles are cooked right in the sauce. This ensures they take on lots of flavor. Depending on your dietary needs, you may want to top everything with some Parmesan cheese, a dollop of fresh ricotta, or as my old roommate used to do, a big heaping spoonful of cottage cheese. It's actually way better than it sounds.
Interested in other veggie noodle recipes? Check out this Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs with Mozzarella, Low Carb Creamy Tomato, Spinach, and Sausage "Pasta, Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles, or Spaghetti Squash Meat Lasagna Boats.
Need more meal ideas? Check out our healthy, low carb, and vegetarian meal plans and take advantage of the New Year's 25% OFF special!
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Zucchini Noodle Bolognese
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 U sweet onion, diced
- 1 U celery stalk, diced
- 1 U carrot, diced
- 1.33 lbs. 93% lean ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 U cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 20 oz canned crushed tomatoes (San Marzano or other)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- Salt and pepper
- Add the olive to a large pan over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onion. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the turkey, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook, breaking up the turkey, until it is no longer pink, Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes at least.
- Meanwhile using a spiralizer, mandolin, sharp knife, or peeler, cut your zucchini into noodles or ribbons.
- Add the zucchini to the sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper as needed.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.