Back before I really starting cooking, my roommate and I went through at least one package a week of Trader Joe's Chicken Chili Verde. Not only was it easy and relatively healthy, we could heat it up at work in the microwave in about 4 minutes. For first year teachers, this was the pressure test for a passable lunch. Fast forward to the present and recently I found myself craving this but instead of running to Trader Joe's, I wanted to make my own version. In my mind, chicken in chili verde should be chunkier than a traditional chicken in salsa verde. The vegetables should be soft and tender but should maintain some of their integrity and it should be spicy. In fact, in my own version, I like to use 2 unseeded chopped jalapenos or serranos to really pack in the heat.
Slow Cooker Chicken in Chili Verde
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 lb. tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 2 U poblano peppers, seeded and chopped (use bell peppers for less heat)
- 1 U jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (leave seeds in for more heat)
- 1 U onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce (coconut aminos for Whole30®)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and top with the remaining ingredients.
Cook for 4 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.