Italian Beef Burgers made with garlic, herbs, and onion and a touch of tomato sauce are delicious, perfect for grilling, and make a great dinner.
"Burgers: A Love Story" — I decided if I had an autobiography, then that's what it should be called. I truly love them. All ways, shapes, and forms. But, I do get stuck in a burger rut from time to time and today was one of those days when I wanted to switch it up a bit.
Lately, I have been experimenting with new takes on an Italian burger and have been pretty impressed with this recipe for an Italian Beef Burger. To the regular ground beef, I added tomato sauce, garlic (of course!), Italian spices, and fresh basil. You know what I got? A moist and delicious burger! If you want to make it really special, then I suggest adding some melted fresh mozzarella cheese, roasted red peppers, and/or pesto!
How do you make Italian Burgers?
These are easy-peasy, and so, so yummy!
To make these Italian burgers, first what I do is combine the ground beef with the chopped onion, garlic, seasonings, and red pepper flakes until just combined. (Don't be afraid to get in there with your bare hands if necessary.)
I set the beef mixture aside and whisk together the egg and tomato sauce before adding that to the mixture. This ensures the egg is mixed in well and so you won't find any scrambled eggs in your burger.
Finally, I add the breadcrumbs and combine it again. Then I divide into four patties, which I then grill or cook in a skillet for about 7 minutes per side.
What toppings go good with Italian Beef Burgers?
- These Italian beef burgers would go great with roasted red peppers, mozzarella cheese, and pesto!
- They would also be amazing with a few slices of crispy pepperoni, pepperoncinis, and some Tabasco.
- I would also totally eat these burgers with a big slice of Buffalo Mozzarella, a thick slice of tomato, and a few fresh basil leaves. Mmmmm can you just taste it?
- Top with even more marinara and some shredded Parm or provolone cheese. Sliced black olives would be an amazing-tasting bonus!
- Grill up some mushrooms to add to the top of these burgers with your favorite Italian cheese, and a sprinkling of fresh oregano.
- A thick red onion slice, giardiniera spread, and smoked mozzarella would be just the best don't you think?
No matter how you cook them up, Italian burgers will be a recipe you come back to quite often, I'm certain!
Sides Dishes for Italian Burgers
There are so many different directions you can take these delicious burgers. Since they are being cooked on the grill, I often will just throw some extra veggies on there as well for a quick side dish. But since it is a burger, I also love dishing up some fries on the side. Last but not least, these burgers go great with a nice green salad packed with all your favorite veggies. Here are some favorite sides to try.
- Grilled Peppers are sweet and topped with balsamic vinegar. Use them as a side dish or layer some right on top of your burger.
- For more variety, try these Balsamic Grilled Vegetables, you can use any combination of vegetables you like.
- If you crave potatoes with your burgers, try these easy Grilled Red Potatoes. They make a great substitute to traditional fries.
- Stick to the Italian theme and try these Crispy Parmesan Summer Squash and Zucchini Fries.
- For a light and low carb fry, you can try these Crispy Turnip Fries.
- Make the best salad to complement your burgers with this Healthy Kale Caesar.
Can I make these burgers with ground chicken or turkey?
Absolutely! These burgers will turn out great with lean ground turkey, ground chicken, or even turkey sausage. Using the sausage really kicks up the flavor without adding lots of calories or fat. To keep things healthier, use a combination of 99% lean ground turkey and turkey sausage.
How do freeze burgers?
There are a few tricks to freezing homemade burgers so that you can pull them out of the freezer for a quick and easy meal.
- Start by making sure the burgers are the same size and thickness. That way they will cook in the same amount of time.
- Once the raw patties are made, place them on a baking sheet or tray. Place them in the freezer for at least 12 hours until they are frozen solid.
- At this point, you can take the patties and place them in a bag or tupperware together. Place a small piece of parchment between each burger so they don't stick. You can also wrap them individually in plastic wrap.
- When ready to cook, preheat a skillet or grill. Cook the frozen patty for about 6 minutes until the burgers start to pool in the center of the burger. Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes for a medium burger. Cook 6-7 minutes for well done.
Italian Beef Burgers
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.