Blueberry Chia Overnight Oats combine my two favorite things, chia seed pudding and oatmeal. This version with blueberries and honey makes such a filling and fiber packed breakfast with just 300 calories and 8 Weight Watchers Smartpoints. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Blueberry Chia Overnight Oats are a make ahead, healthy breakfast that's filling and packed with good for you ingredients. Make it with your favorite fruit, add all your favorite toppings, and be prepared to be full of energy all morning. And with all the nutritional benefits of chia seeds, it is a breakfast you can feel good about.
I love overnight oats so I am always looking for ways to mix things up. Lately, I have been combining my love of overnight oats with my love of chia seed pudding for a magical chia overnight oat combination. I find this keeps me full a bit longer than just oats along and personally I love the texture of the chia seeds. Usually I top mine with some chopped nuts and sliced banana.
Additionally, adding chia seeds to your overnight oatmeal kicks up the nutritional benefits. Chia seeds are packed with health benefits. They contain 20%(5 grams) of your daily fiber needs in just one tablespoon, contain bone healthy phosphorus and magnesium, are a complete planted based protein source, have heart-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, and help you stay full and satiated. It's one of the easiest ways to kick up the nutrients in your oatmeal.
Is overnight oatmeal eaten cold?
Overnight oats are made by combining oats and liquid and letting them soak overnight in the fridge. Unlike traditional oatmeal, overnight oatmeal can be eaten straight out of the fridge cold. If cold oatmeal isn't your thing, you can warm them up with a little extra milk before serving. If you don't enjoy them directly out of the fridge, take them out about an hour before you will eat them and let them come to room temperature.
How long can I leave chia overnight oats in the fridge?
Overnight oats can be refrigerated for up to five days as long as they are in an airtight container. However, that may change depending on what ingredients you added to your oats. Some fruit will get extremely mushy if left refrigerated for that long in the oats and liquid. When adding fruit, you may want to add it right before serving. It is also important to know that the oats will continue to soften each day in the fridge so the oats will take on a creamier texture.
What are the benefits of overnight oats?
- Keep you full: Overnight oats contain a good amount of fiber, especially when paired with chia seeds, which helps you stay full. It also helps keep you regular and promotes healthy digestion.
- Heart health: Oatmeal contains antioxidants and fiber that are both shown to help cardiovascular health and reduce bad cholesterol. They are often recommended for anyone looking for a heart-healthy diet.
- Supports weight loss: Oats and overnight oatmeal are shown to support weight loss since they help reduce sugar cravings, regulate blood sugar, and keep you full longer.
- Cancer fighting: There is a nutrient in oatmeal called lignan that is shown to reduce the risk of hormone-related cancer according to the American Cancer Society.
Do chia seeds expire?
Chia seeds last a very long time and normally expire about two years after they are packaged. However, it is important to store them correctly to get the longest shelf life possible. Store chia seeds in an airtight container in a cool and dry area. They can also be refrigerated or even frozen to make them last even longer. Chia seeds that have expired usually have a bitter flavor.
Chia Overnight Oat Recipe Ideas
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry: Top the chia seed pudding with chopped strawberries and either chocolate chips or melted chocolate chips.
- Apple Pie: Microwave or saute apples until they are soft and add to the chia seed pudding along with a good sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Pumpkin Pie: Add 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin to your chia and oat combination. Stir in pumpkin pie spice. Top with walnuts or pecans.
- Berries and Seeds: Add a combination of your favorite berries with a mix of flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and hemp seeds.
- Mango Coconut: Top the overnight chia oats with chopped mango and unsweetened shredded coconut. You can also make the oats with coconut milk for extra coco flavor.
- Chocolate Banana: When it comes to banana, there are two options. You can add a mashed banana to the oat and chia mix to add banana flavor throughout and also add sweetness. The other option is to top with chopped banana or do a combination of both. Then top with chocolate chips or melted chocolate.
- Peanut Butter Banana: Same as above but with peanut butter instead of chocolate.
- Blueberry Lemon: Add lemon is a great way to really change up the flavor of overnight oats and chia seed pudding. Add lemon zest right into the mixture to get a yummy lemon flavor throughout. Then top with blueberries.
- Banana Split: Add chopped banana, strawberries, peanuts, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Blueberry Chia Overnight Oats
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
Mix everything together. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
Note: You can add the blueberries to the overnight oats before or after mixing. If you plan on keeping them in the fridge for a few nights, add them right before serving.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.