Jalapeno Popper Chicken topped with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and jalapenos is a low carb and healthier way to enjoy your favorite jalapeno poppers! Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
This simple twist on Jalapeno Poppers made with chicken breast, cream cheese, diced jalapenos, and cheddar cheese. It's cheesy, spicy, and you will be licking your plate. We like to serve it with Roasted Cauliflower, Garlic Green Beans, or Baked Oven Fries.
We’re keeping it simple today with this grilled or baked Jalapeno Popper Chicken. It couldn’t be any easier and is seriously delicious. Let’s talk about the players involved – fresh diced jalapenos, green onions, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. And no one would judge you if you added in some chopped bacon, just saying. Everything is baked on a juicy chicken breast to create a quick and surprisingly low-calorie meal with under 250 calories.
Worried about the spice level? You could substitute in some roasted red peppers for a spice-free version or use Poblano peppers for a milder spice. Regular bell peppers would also work and you could even use some shredded zucchini but you would lose the whole jalapeno popper theme. However with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and green onions – no matter what veggies you use, you are guaranteed a yummy dish.
Make Jalapeno Popper Chicken Pasta
Believe it or not, this dish can be easily converted into the most delicious creamy and spicy pasta recipe. Start by cooking your pasta until al dente and reserve some of the pasta cooking liquid. You will want about 2 ounces per person. Meanwhile, chop the chicken into bite size pieces. Season it with salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. Add it to a hot pan with a touch of oil or cooking spray. Cook until cooked through and set aside. Add the jalapenos and green onions to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until just tender. I like them to still have a little crunch.
Next, add the pasta and chicken to the pan. Stir in the cream cheese (you may need extra) and a little of the pasta cooking liquid. Stir until a creamy sauce forms. Lastly comes the cheese. Either stir it into the pasta or sprinkle it on top and cover for a few minutes for the cheese to melt. This is so so good!
How to Make Bacon Jalapeno Popper Chicken?
Needless to say, this chicken is super delicious with some bacon. To keep things on the lighter side, reach for some center cut bacon, turkey bacon, or chicken bacon. Simply cook it until crispy and then sprinkle on top of the chicken before serving.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
If you prefer dark meat, jalapeno popper chicken can easily be made with chicken thighs. Just adjust the cooking time based on the type of chicken thigh you are using. Boneless skinless chicken thighs cook more quickly than a bone-in thigh. Either way, make sure to remove the skin before cooking since it will get soggy under the cream cheese topping.
Can I make it crunchy?
Absolutely! A great option for adding crunch to this dish is with some breadcrumbs. Panko breadcrumbs will give you the most crunch. Simply sprinkle a thin layer on top after adding the cream cheese and jalapeno mixture. If you need a low carb option, you could sprinkle some finely chopped almonds on top.
Tips for Making Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- It's really easy to control the spice level in this dish. If you like things spicy, leave in the seeds when dicing the jalapenos. For a milder spice, remove the seeds and veins. You can also try different peppers. Poblano peppers have a milder heat than jalapenos and for no heat at all, just use a green or red bell pepper. For extra heat, add a serrano pepper to the mix or just add some chili powder or cayenne to the cream cheese mixture.
- If you prefer to make a casserole style dish, start by layering in the chicken over a bed of cauliflower rice. Layer the raw chicken over the cauliflower rice and top with the cream cheese mixture. Baked for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Sometimes I make a little extra cream cheese and jalapeno pepper topping for this option.
- To make sure your chicken isn't overcooked, you may need to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the chicken. It's fine to add the jalapeno popper topping a little early so that the chicken doesn't overcook.
- To ensure even cooking of the chicken, you may want to pound or slice the chicken into a uniform thickness. This will also speed up the cooking time.
- For a bubbly and browned topping, broil the dish for the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Any cheese will work for this recipe - part-skim mozzarella, pepper jack, Monterey jack, basically anything that melts well.
- To make this dish really special, drizzle the whole thing with buffalo sauce when it comes out of the oven. Bar food at its best.
This recipe originally appeared back in 2015 but has been udpated with a video, new photos, and tips.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, 4 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your grill or preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Grill it for 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through. In the oven, place the chicken in a baking dish and cook for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and juices run clear.
Meanwhile, mix together the jalapenos, cream cheese, green onions, and cheddar cheese.
For the grill – take the cooked chicken and place it on a piece of foil. Spread the cream cheese jalapeno mixture on top and return to grill. Close top with grill for 3-4 minutes until cheese begins to melt.
For the oven – remove the baking dish and spread the cream cheese jalapeno mixture over the chicken. Return to oven and cook 8-10 minutes or until cheese I creamy and melted.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.