Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Salad
Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Salad features a refreshing combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors. Made with just a few key ingredients and dressed simply with olive oil and lime juice, this flavorful watermelon salad makes the perfect addition to any meal.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past several summers, you have probably heard of the watermelon, feta, and mint salad by now. This refreshing and tangy salad has taken the foodie world by storm in recent years, mainly for the shocking combination of watermelon and feta cheese.
That being said, fruit and cheese is actually not an uncommon pairing. Pears and brie, apples and cheddar, the list could go on. Sweet watermelon with tangy feta, brought together by refreshing mint is a seriously drool-worthy combination. The flavors all work beautifully together and the salad takes only a few minutes to whip up.
This refreshingly delicious watermelon salad is a must-try this season. It’s colorful, easy to make, and guarantees to be the prettiest dish on any dinner table. Enjoy it as a side dish with your favorite grilled meats or serve it up as a poolside snack at your next pool party. It’s the ultimate way to cool down on a hot day! And if mint isn't your thing, try this easy watermelon salad with cilantro.
To bring this watermelon and feta salad to life, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Watermelon: You can cube a whole watermelon yourself or buy pre-cubed watermelon at the store. If you opt to buy a fresh watermelon, look for the ripest one you can find and be sure to reach for seedless. If you buy the pre-cubed watermelon, drain off any excess liquid.
- Feta cheese: The tangy and slightly salty flavor of the feta cheese tastes incredible in contrast to the juicy sweetness of the watermelon. The crumbly texture also ensures that it will evenly distribute throughout the salad.
- Red onion: I love the sharp flavor, added crunch, and bright color that red onion adds to this salad. If you want something a little on the milder side, feel free to swap it out for chopped green onions. You can also soak the red onion in water for 15 minutes to cut down on the bite.
- Mint: The fresh herbal undertones and lingering coolness of the mint brings together the sweet and salty aspects of this salad perfectly.
- Olive oil: Make sure to use high-quality olive oil that you enjoy the taste of.
- Lime juice: This is optional, but I highly recommend adding fresh lime juice to the salad because it does an amazing job of enhancing the flavors of the other ingredients.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Here are some of my best recipe tips and substitutions that might help you get the freshest and most delightful version of this summer salad every time:
- Swap out the herbs. If you can’t find fresh mint or just want to try a different flavor profile, try swapping it out for fresh basil or cilantro instead.
- Add some nuts. Throwing in some chopped nuts like walnuts, pecans or almonds adds some texture and nuttiness to the salad, while also adding some healthy fats and protein.
- Select the best watermelon. Since the watermelon is arguably the most important component of this salad, make sure to choose a good one. I’ve mentioned some of my top tips on how to pick a ripe watermelon in the FAQ section below.
- Change up the dressing. Personally, I like to keep the dressing super simple to allow the ingredients to shine. However, you can change things up by using another light dressing like a balsamic vinaigrette or apple cider vinaigrette instead.
What to Serve with Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Salad
This refreshing watermelon and feta salad recipe can be served on its own as a tasty snack or as a healthy side dish for barbecues and dinner parties. I’ve paired this dish with burgers, grilled chicken, and plenty other picnic favorites. You really can’t go wrong.
Looking for inspiration? Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with watermelon salad:
- Grilled protein. This light salad is an excellent side dish for any grilled protein like this simple Garlic Grilled Shrimp or my Cilantro Lime Chicken. For a vegetarian protein source, go for something like these Grilled Tofu.
- Burgers. For the ultimate BBQ experience, serve this salad with some burgers. My 5 ingredient Chicken Burgers or Fish Burgers, for example, tastes absolutely divine with the sweetness of the watermelons tempering down the spice of the burger.
- Sandwiches. To create the perfect summer picnic menu, add a sandwich or wrap like these flavorful Chicken Shawarmas, a classic potato salad, and a bowl of watermelon salad. Refreshing, satisfying, and delicious!
How to Store Watermelon Salad
For the tastiest and freshest results, I recommend waiting to prepare this salad until you’re ready to serve it. However, you can prepare it up to 24 hours in advance if needed.
If you just want to chop the watermelon ahead of time, you can do so up to 3-4 days in advance and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to add it to the salad. Just drain it first to remove any excess liquid. If you end up with leftovers, you can store the salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Because watermelon is mostly water, I don’t recommend storing this salad in the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this watermelon, feta, and mint salad recipe:
Can I skip the dressing?
If you enjoy a dressing-free salad, then feel free to skip the olive oil! I recommend still adding the lime juice for the added flavor, but you can easily leave that out too if you want.
What should I serve with this watermelon salad?
You can serve this dish with any of your summertime favorites. Some of my top picks include burgers, sandwiches, pasta salad, grilled chicken, and grilled fish. Feel free to get creative! This dish works great as a snack on hot summer days or as a side dish for barbecues, picnics, and family dinners.
How do you select the best watermelon?
Selecting a good watermelon is essential to let this recipe shine. Go for the bright green ones that feel heavy for their size—don’t be afraid to compare a few same-sized melons to see which one is the heaviest. The heavier watermelons are always the juiciest and ripest. Another easy way to spot a ripe watermelon is by checking the underbelly for a creamy yellow spot; this is a great indicator that the watermelon is ripe.
Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Salad
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 6 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled or cubed)
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.