Slow Cooker Beef Ragu packed with tender shredded beef and tomatoes for perfect sauce that tastes like you stood at the stove for hours.
As a kid the most amazing thing happened in my house every Friday. My Dad would get home from work and inevitably be carrying a large, overflowing cardboard box. He would drop it on the kitchen table and we would all run to the kitchen to see what was inside. Most of the time we were looking for dough-doughs a magical fried dough creation I think my grandmother invented that we would toast and cover in cinnamon and sugar but there were always other delicious treats as well homemade macaroni and cheese (the best you’ve ever had), homemade pizza, the occasional chop suey, and always delicious, unbelievable spaghetti sauce.
Thinking back she must have made sauce every week because we were always stacked three high in the freezer and more always came. Neighbors and friends would ask for it and relatives would almost always take some home. Her sauce was famous. I really wish I would have learned to make that sauce. And today as I start to build my own repertoire of sauces, including today’s beef ragu a slow cooked tomato sauce with shredded beef I think a lot about my grandmother and make a mental note that someday, in the the very far off future, I want to be just like her and her magical Friday boxes.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 1/2 lbs lean beef top round, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 U onion, diced
- 1 U carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 U garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 U bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the bottom of the crock pot.
- Season your beef liberally with salt and pepper and add it to the crock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 6-8 hours until beef is fork tender. Serve with your favorite pasta, or polenta, or even in sandwiches for an Italian beef sandwich.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.