This Low Carb Yogurt Parfait is packed with strawberries, flax, chia seeds, and yogurt for an easy breakfast that is egg free. Great for meal prep since it can be made in advance. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
This Make Ahead Low Carb Yogurt Parfait with Strawberries, Flax, and Chia Seeds is the perfect solution for anyone eating low carb and looking for something to eat other than eggs. Full or flavor, this refreshing breakfast is great for low carb diets and can be personalized with your favorite fruit and yogurt. Looking for chia seed pudding? Try this Ultimate Chia Seed Pudding or Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding or learn all about the benefits of chia seeds.
Low carb breakfasts that don't contain eggs can be hard to come by. Most low carb breakfasts involve cottage cheese, eggs, dinner leftovers, or meat and veggies. Luckily chia seeds recently came on the scene and have been giving low carb dieters lots of new options for breakfasts. This version of chia seed pudding is pumped up with flaxseed meal and yogurt for extra protein and fiber. Then instead of mixing everything together and letting it refrigerate overnight, I like to serve it like a parfait. That way you get layers of chia flax pudding and layers of fruit.
What yogurt has the lowest carb?
To make a low carb yogurt parfait, it is important to use a lower carb yogurt. There are lots of options depending on just how low carb you want to go. It's also very important to read the labels because many yogurts have added sugar, which can quickly add up when it comes to carbs. Here are some of the best low carb yogurt options.
- Unsweetened, full-fat plain or Greek yogurt: Full-fat plain yogurt is one of the lowest carb options with between 10-11 grams of carbohydrates per cup, varying slightly by brand. Lower fat yogurts will have a higher carb count, even if they are plain. This is because milk powder is added to low-fat yogurts to add creaminess,
- Homemade low carb yogurt: For a truly low carb yogurt, many people make a version using sour cream and whipping cream sweetened with stevia or another sugar free sweetener. To make one serving, combine 1/2 cup of full-fat sour cream and one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. Sweeten to taste and add vanilla extract if desired. This option has 2 net carbs per serving.
- Low carb store bought yogurt: A few companies make lower carb yogurt that you can buy in the grocery store. For example, Dannon makes a carb control yogurt with just 3 gram of carbohydrates per serving.
Low Carb Yogurt Parfait Layering Ideas
Part of the fun of a parfait is creating all kinds of different layers. Here are some ideas for creating extra layers in your parfait.
- Seeds and nuts: There are so many options when it comes to seeds and nuts. Not only do they add protein and healthy fats, they also add some great crunch. Try cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, or walnuts.
- Nut butter: For a creamy option, swirl in some layers of almond or peanut butter. Just make sure to choose a version without added sugar.
- Ricotta cheese: Believe it or not, some people love to make yogurt parfaits with ricotta cheese. Just make sure to sweeten it first with a sugar substitute so it isn't too tangy.
- More fruit: Reach for your favorite fresh or frozen low carb fruit. Berries are the lowest options for those counting carbs.
- Coconut: Shredded or diced coconut is another great way to add flavor and texture.
- Low carb chocolate: There are lots of low carb chocolate chips, chocolate syrups, and chocolate bars available. Grab your favorite and add it for a sweet treat.
Low Carb Yogurt Parfait with Strawberries, Flax, and Chia Seeds
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
Mix together the yogurt, milk, chia, and flaxseed meal. Using a jar or container, layer in half of the chia and yogurt mix. Then layer in half the fruit. Then repeat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.