This is a seriously delicious chicken recipe - it's a touch sweet from the brown sugar, a touch salty from the soy sauce, and with just enough heat from the Asian chili garlic paste. Last night if you were in my kitchen, you would have witnessed us messily eating it out right out of the slow cooker while we waited for the rice to finish up. It wasn't a pretty site, but it was too good to wait. And today you would have seen me stuffing it into lettuce wraps with some mandarin oranges, shredded cabbage, and chopped cashews. It makes really good leftovers.
Let's talk about the recipe for a minute. I decided to use boneless and skinless chicken thighs because I wanted to make sure the chicken stayed nice and moist. Chicken breast would also work as would pork tenderloin or a lean, trimmed pork shoulder. In terms of the spice quotient, you can adjust it to your preferences and you can also add more afterwards or on the side. Finally, I highly recommend reducing the cooking liquid after to create an amazing sauce/drizzle for the chicken. It's worth the extra 15 minutes.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- Stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, chili garlic paste, garlic, and ginger in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken and stir to coat the chicken completely.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is fully cooked. Shred using two forks.
- Optional but highly recommended: Add the liquid from the slow cooker into a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and boil for 8-10 minutes until it reduces by half and thickens. Toss chicken in this sauce or drizzle on top.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.