Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken made with just 8 ingredients that are already in your pantry is just as easy as takeout with all the sticky and sweet flavor you're craving.
This Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken with a sweet and savory Asian sauce couldn't be easier to make and is always a huge hit. It tastes like your favorite sweet and sticky Chinese chicken but is made with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have at home.
Lately, I have just needed simple, crowd-pleasing dinners. You know the kind of recipe I mean, something that can be thrown together in a couple of minutes with things I already have in the house. Recipes that everyone will eat and even go back for seconds. This Honey Garlic Chicken is that kind of recipe. All you need is some chicken, soy sauce, honey, and ketchup. Garlic, dried basil, and red pepper flakes enhance the recipe but I am going to share some easy swaps in case you don't have any at home.
It takes less than five minutes to get into the slow cooker and in a few hours dinner is ready. Easy, peasy. Once it’s done there are endless serving possibilities serve it over rice, stuff it into a sandwich, toss it on a salad, wrap it up in some lettuce, or add it to stir-fried vegetables. Since this recipe is so versatile, consider doubling up for leftovers during the week. It is great for meal prep.
What to Serve with Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken
This takeout style dish will surely have you craving other Asian style dishes, here are some favorites we like to serve on the side.
- Make a batch of simple steamed brown, white rice, or cauliflower. Or if you are craving fried rice, you could try this Cauliflower Fried Rice or Healthy Fried Rice.
- You'll likely want a vegetable on the side to add some greens and nutrition. Many times I will just quickly stir fry some broccoli or cauliflower with a little soy sauce and serve that on the side. When I want something a little more special, I make this Roasted Asian Broccoli or 10 Minute Cabbage Stir Fry, which uses bagged coleslaw mix.
- For a lighter option, this Honey Garlic Chicken is delicious wrapped up in some butter lettuce with shredded carrots and bean sprouts. For a heartier lettuce wrap, add some thin rice noodles.
- You could also turn this into a noodle bowl with some cooked pasta tossed with a little soy sauce and sesame oil. Or make some Lo Mein or Chow Mein on the side.
Recipe Tips and Ideas
- Make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or even pork. If you have struggled with dry chicken in the slow cooker in the past, then make it with chicken thighs.
- Make sure to know your slow cooker. Many people think that chicken breast comes out dry in the slow cooker and this is usually because the chicken is overcooked. Many slow cookers, even on low, cook quite quickly. For example, this chicken was finished cooking in just 3 hours on low in my slow cooker.
- If you don't have garlic on hand, you can swap in garlic powder, dehydrated garlic, or minced garlic that comes in a jar. You could also use a garlic chili paste, like sambal olek, to add some garlic flavor.
- When it comes to dried herbs, you can use basil, oregano, or any other dried herb you like. It can also be left out and won't change the flavor significantly.
- If you are out of ketchup, you can use two tablespoons of tomato paste mixed with one tablespoon of rice vinegar.
- If you are pressed for time, you can skip thickening the sauce. The chicken will still be delicious, it just won't have a thick sticky sauce.
- If you prefer shredded chicken, cook the chicken breasts whole and then shred in the sauce with two forks.
Meal Prep and Leftover Ideas
This recipe is one of my favorites for meal prep since there are so many different ways to serve leftover honey garlic chicken.
Consider packing some leftovers up as rice bowls with some cooked rice and steamed vegetables. For super easy prep, use frozen rice and frozen stir fry veggies. They will defrost in the fridge and then cook when you reheat the dish in the microwave.
Use leftover chicken to make Asian style chicken salads with Romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, bean sprouts, cucumbers, and crushed peanuts. You can also turn these salads into wraps.
Make some quick fried rice with the leftover chicken. You could also make some honey garlic chicken lo mein using leftover cooked spaghetti.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Meditteranean Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki with Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
This recipe was originally posted back in 2012 and has been updated with new photos and recipe tips.
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.