This creamy coconut cauliflower rice is the ultimate healthy side dish. Made simply with cauliflower, coconut milk, garlic, and ginger, this flavorful dish is easy to make and beyond delicious.
When I’m looking for a low-carb side dish to enjoy for dinner, cauliflower rice tends to be my go-to base. This versatile veggie is beyond easy to customize in all sorts of delicious ways. Cauliflower can be used to make everything from casseroles and mashed cauliflower to flavorful rice dishes like this vibrant and creamy coconut cauliflower rice.
This dish was inspired by some leftover coconut milk I had in the fridge that needed to be used. I knew I wanted to make cauliflower rice that night, which is when it hit me. Coconut rice is creamy and delicious, so why not make a low-carb version of that dish with cauliflower rice?
All you need is riced cauliflower and coconut milk, along with a few aromatics for added flavor, and you’ve got the perfect low-carb side in under 30 minutes. I love serving this dish with Asian, Indian, and Caribbean-inspired meals.
For a sweeter dish, you can add chopped fruit like pineapple or mango and a pinch of coconut sugar. Or keep it savory and pair it with your favorite grilled meats and a green veggie. This is guaranteed to become one of your new favorite healthy recipes!
Coconut Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
Let’s talk about what you’re going to need to make this creamy coconut cauliflower rice.
- Cauliflower Rice: You can buy pre-riced cauliflower at the grocery store or rice your own cauliflower florets by pulsing them in a food processor.
- Coconut Milk: For a dish that’s lower in fat, use lite coconut milk. If you want a creamier and richer side dish, use full-fat coconut milk. Either one works!
- Garlic and Ginger: For the best-tasting cauliflower rice, it’s important to use fresh ingredients. Fresh minced garlic and ginger add tons of delicious flavor.
- Fresh Cilantro: This is optional, but I love garnishing with fresh cilantro for extra flavor and a vibrant pop of color.
Recipe Tips and Variations
To make the best coconut cauliflower rice, here are some of my top tips and variations:
- For an extra burst of flavor, try squeezing fresh lime juice over the dish and mixing it in just before serving it. Lime wedges also make a wonderful garnish for a nice pop of color.
- Make sure to use high-quality canned coconut milk for the creamiest and most flavorful dish.
- Store the extra coconut milk in an airtight container in the fridge to use throughout the week in smoothies, coconut curries, and baked goods.
- Want to add more aromatics for extra flavor? Try minced onion, turmeric, diced chilies, lemongrass, or scallions.
- For a stronger coconut flavor and a variation in texture, you can add unsweetened coconut flakes to the dish.
What to Serve With Coconut Cauliflower Rice
This keto coconut cauliflower rice makes a fantastic side dish for all sorts of main courses. Whether you’re serving an easy weeknight dinner for the family or hosting a barbecue for friends, there are plenty of great ways to serve this dish. Need some inspiration? Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with coconut cauliflower rice:
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken – This classic Indian dish is bold, flavorful, and pairs beautifully with coconut cauliflower rice for the ultimate summer meal.
- Teriyaki Shrimp with Green Beans – For a delicious, low-carb meal, this delicious shrimp recipe is a no-brainer.
- Sheet Pan Honey Sriracha Chicken and Vegetables – The perfect combination of sweet and spicy, this dish was practically born to be paired with coconut rice.
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken – If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy slow cooker recipe, it doesn’t get much better than rich and creamy butter chicken.
- Cilantro Lime Chicken – Fire up the grill for a bold and flavorful dish that tastes amazing alongside this coconut cauliflower rice.
- Grilled Hoisin Pork Tenderloin – You only need 4 ingredients to make this mesmerizing grilled pork dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most popular questions about this coconut cauliflower rice recipe:
Once the cauliflower rice has cooled completely, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. While you can store it for longer in the freezer (up to 2 months), it’s important to note that the texture will likely wind up much mushier after being frozen.
Yes! One cup of cauliflower rice only has around 2 grams of net carbs, making it a wonderful keto-friendly side dish. If you’re on the keto diet, I recommend using full-fat coconut milk in this dish.
Absolutely. If you’re using frozen cauliflower rice, you can thaw it in the microwave or in a dry pan on the stove for 3-5 minutes. The key is to cook out as much excess moisture as possible before adding the coconut milk to ensure that you get a creamy cauliflower rice dish, rather than soggy cauliflower rice.
I’ve found that combining rich, creamy coconut milk with cauliflower rice is highly effective in removing any potential bitterness from the cauliflower. However, you can take this a step further by cooking your cauliflower rice covered in the microwave for 2-3 minutes with a few tablespoons of water or broth to remove any bitterness.
You can make your own riced cauliflower at home by chopping a head of cauliflower into florets and pulsing it in the food processor until you have rice-sized pieces. Make sure to repeatedly pulse, rather than blend, so you don’t wind up with mush.
Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.