Cilantro Lime Chicken made with just six ingredients is full of bright and bold flavors. They are quickly marinated and then cooked right in a skillet for a quick and easy meal.
The next time you are cooking a Mexican-themed dinner, try making this Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe! Seasoned with cumin, lime juice, and fresh cilantro, this juicy, marinated chicken only takes 10 minutes to cook- Perfect for a quick dinner on a busy weeknight!
One of my favorite meals to order when I go out is cilantro lime chicken. It's just so juicy and perfectly seasoned. It goes with everything, like rice, tacos, or even a salad!
The chicken dish is really bright- both in flavor and color. If you are not the biggest fan of cilantro, then this recipe probably isn't for you. If you love the leafy green herb, add this chicken recipe to your meal plan next week!
Key Ingredients For Cilantro Lime Chicken
Use the ingredients listed below to make a delicious chicken marinade. You can also make extra to marinate a piece of pork at the same time!
Here's what I used in this easy chicken recipe:
- Chicken Thighs: You can use either chicken breasts or chicken thighs, as long as it is boneless and skinless.
- Cilantro: This green herb gives the chicken its intense flavor, but it can be optional. If you think cilantro tastes like soap, you can just omit it from this recipe and swap in another fresh herb like parsley, basil, or a combination of fresh herbs.
- Garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic cloves, you can use garlic powder.
- Lime Juice: Use fresh-squeezed lime juice because it will have the best flavor!
- Olive Oil: If you don't have olive oil, use avocado or grapeseed oil instead.
- Cumin: Ground coriander is a perfect substitute for cumin.
Note: For a complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this cilantro lime chicken, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With Cilantro Chicken
There are so many different ways you can enjoy this dish!
- Shred the chicken and serve it on some lettuce shells.
- Intensify the cilantro and lime flavor and serve it alongside some cilantro lime rice (the same kind from Chipotle) and creamy cilantro lime sauce.
- Add it to some soft taco shells with a side of guacamole and corn salsa.
- My favorite way to enjoy this chicken is on top of a Mexican chopped salad/
- If you are cooking this chicken on the grill, consider making some garlic grilled broccoli for the side.
- Make the best Chicken Taco Bowls or Chicken Street Tacos corn tortillas, salsa, cilantro, and onion.
Recipe Tips And Ideas
Follow these tips to make sure that this chicken turns out juicy every single time!
- Marinate the chicken overnight. If you don't have time, at least give it a 4-hour rest time. The longer you allow it to marinate, the more flavor it will have.
- If you marinate the chicken in a shallow dish, turn it over once halfway through the marinating time so that all sides have a chance to soak up the spices!
- Use a meat thermometer when you are cooking chicken. It should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- If you want the chicken to cook faster, slice it thin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Can I use bone-in chicken?
This recipe works with bone-in or boneless chicken thighs. Bone-in chicken will take slightly longer to cook so make sure to adjust the cooking time. For a lower calorie option, remove the skin from the chicken thighs before cooking them. You can also make these with the skin, just make sure to let it fully crisp up in the pan.
Does this recipe work with chicken breast?
This recipe will work great with chicken breast as well. Make sure to cut the chicken into pieces that are the same thickness so that they cook evenly. Chicken breast cooks more quickly so make sure to pay attention as it cooks so it doesn't dry out.
Can this chicken be cooked on the grill?
Absolutely! This chicken is delicious on the grill. Marinate the chicken in the same way and then simply grill it for 4-6 minutes per side for boneless chicken.
How do you store leftover chicken?
The best way to store leftover cooked chicken is in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
You can also use it in your meal prep by storing it in individual containers.
Can I freeze this cilantro lime chicken?
Yes, this chicken recipe freezes really well! Let it cool off completely before you place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. This chicken will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to eat it again, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Can I make it in the slow cooker?
Yes, this is an easy recipe to make in the slow cooker as well.
In addition to the marinade ingredients, add about 1/2 a cup of chicken broth to the slow cooker. Then, cook the chicken on low for 6-8 hours or on high for about 4 hours. You will know it is finished cooking when it shreds easily with a fork.
How do I make this chicken recipe taste spicier?
There are lots of ways to add some heat to your cilantro lime chicken. My favorite is to add some cayenne pepper. Another popular choice is to add some jalapeno slices to the marinade!
If you want it to have a mild amount of spice, then just sprinkle some paprika on top.
What is the fastest way to shred cooked chicken?
While using two forks is the tried and true way to do it, it isn't the fastest way. After you cook all of the chicken breasts, I recommend placing them in a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer on low. It will shred the chicken in just a few seconds!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes:
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Send to your inbox
- 1.33 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.