This easy chicken with jalapeno cream sauce is a filling and spicy new way to enjoy this lean meat for dinner. Keep reading and discover the best way to make juicy chicken right in your oven. Don't forget the homemade jalapeno cream sauce! Jump to Recipe and Video
If you are a fan of spice, you have to try this Jalapeno Chicken. It's so good. Tender baked chicken served with this dreamy jalapeno cream sauce that comes together in just a couple of minutes. Also, jalapeno lovers, don't miss this Jalapeno Popper Chicken.
Whenever I get in the mood for something rich and indulgent for dinner, you'll catch me running across the street and purchase this insanely good jalapeno chicken pasta that is the stuff dreams are made of and sit on my couch and catch up on some TV.
Now that I am working on changing my eating habits, I like to turn to a dish like cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken breasts or something like today's recipe. This smothered chicken recipe is the perfect answer when I am knee-deep in those cravings.
So next time you are craving something indulgent, whip up this delicious chicken with jalapeno cream sauce! It is perfect all by itself, or you can add your favorite healthy side dishes for a dinner-time feast.
Keep reading and discover how to make this creamy chicken for yourself or your family. Whether you want something entirely different for your meal prep or you want a zesty new chicken recipe as an effortless weeknight dinner, this is the perfect one for you!
Key Ingredients For Chicken With Jalapeno Cream Sauce
This recipe uses quite a few different ingredients that you can replace if you have allergies. It's so easy to customize it to fit your tastes or dietary needs.
- Chicken Breast: Use either boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken breast tenders. If you use chicken tenders, just watch the cooking time and cook them for a shorter time. Alternatively, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs with the fat trimmed off.
- Jalapenos: If you want a mild flavor, use one poblano in its place or remove all of the seeds and center stem.
- Onion: For this recipe, use minced onion - red, yellow, or white will all taste perfect in this recipe. To save yourself time, you can even use frozen diced onion.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves will taste best, but in a pinch, you can use garlic powder instead!
- Flour: To make the roux for the creamy jalapeno sauce, I used all-purpose flour. A gluten-free replacement that you could use includes arrowroot powder or gluten-free flour.
- Skim Milk: For a dairy-free alternative, use either almond milk or even coconut milk to maintain that creamy texture.
- Nonfat Evaporated Milk: A dairy-free substitute for evaporated milk is coconut milk.
- Parmesan Cheese: A substitute for parmesan cheese could either be Romano cheese or Asiago cheese.
- Lemon: If you don't have a lemon, you can use jarred lemon juice instead.
Note: For a complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this chicken with jalapeno, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With Baked Chicken
This chicken recipe tastes fantastic all by itself! If you want to serve a healthy meal, then set the chicken and cream sauce on top of some cauliflower rice or brown rice. It would also taste delicious with some crispy roasted vegetables too.
This chicken and jalapeno recipe also tastes just as amazing the next day. Add this to your meal prep plan and warm up the leftovers later.
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Chicken and Jalapeno Cream Sauce
Follow these tips to make sure this creamy chicken recipe turns out perfectly every single time!
- Make sure to use an oven-proof skillet when cooking the chicken. My favorite kind is a cast-iron skillet. These skillets last forever and are super-easy to clean. If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, you can cook the chicken on the stove and then transfer it to a casserole dish. It just makes a bigger mess.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken. Chicken needs to cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- If your roux is too thick, add the tiniest amount of milk or cream until it thins out to the texture you want.
Frequently Asked Questions About Jalapeno Chicken Recipe
Here are some questions I often get asked about by some readers…
How long does this chicken stay fresh in the refrigerator?
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The chicken and cream sauce will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
How do I make the jalapeno sauce taste spicier?
You can always increase the spicy flavor by using more jalapenos or leaving a few more seeds in. If you can handle it, try adding a few tablespoons of diced habanero! That will really kick up the heat.
Is this chicken recipe keto-friendly?
There is some sugar in skim milk and evaporated milk, so this recipe is not entirely keto-friendly. If you are on a low-carb diet, I suggest replacing it with unsweetened almond or coconut milk. Then, use full-fat heavy cream instead of evaporated milk.
What can I use instead of chicken breast?
If it is a jam-packed evening, I understand if you don't want to spend time cooking the chicken breast! You can always use some shredded rotisserie chicken instead to make dinner meal prep go by faster.
This cream sauce tastes terrific with pork too. Try it on pork chops or some pork tenderloin.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You'll Love:
Chicken with Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 U jalapenos, seeded and minced (or 1 poblano for a milder flavor)
- 2 tbsp onion, minced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp flour (or arrowroot for low carb and gluten free)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup canned nonfat evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 U lemon, juiced
- Get IngredientsNEW!
Heat an oven proof pan over medium high heat. Add the vegetable oil. Once it is nice and hot, sear the chicken breasts on both sides and then place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes. You want the chicken to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees but cooking time might vary slightly depending on the thickness of the breast.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.