This easy Apple Banana Smoothie is packed with good for you ingredients including apples, bananas, oats, yogurt, and flaxseeds. It is naturally sweetened with no added sugar and will keep you full and energized all morning. Jump to Recipe
Make this apple and banana smoothie in just a few minutes. It tastes like a sweet apple dessert but it is actually packed with protein for a healthy breakfast or snack! It's also an excellent way to increase your fiber and healthy fats. Keep reading and you'll discover how easy healthy eating really is with this apple pie smoothie recipe.
I'll be honest. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood to cook breakfast.
On these mornings, I just want something that comes together quickly and still has all the fiber, protein, and healthy fats that will keep me feeling full until lunchtime. That's why I love smoothies so much! You literally just put everything into a blender and then it is ready to drink.
Now, there are hundreds of ways that you can make smoothies. But, this one stands out from the rest because it tastes just like an apple pie - but without all the extra sugar! In fact, I didn't add a single teaspoon of sugar or sweetener. All the sweetness in it comes from the fruit added.
The combination of nutty seeds, creamy banana, sweet apple, and earthy oatmeal combine to create an unforgettable smoothie.
Key Ingredients For Apple Banana Smoothie
These are the ingredients you'll need to make this hearty apple and oats smoothie:
- Oats: The type of oats isn't as important since you are going to be chopping it up really fine in the smoothie. Use whatever you have on-hand; both quick-cooking oats and steel-cut oats work the same.
- Seeds: I used flax seeds to give this smoothie recipe more healthy fats and protein. Other things you can add to it include chia seeds and hemp hearts. Both of them will taste great in your smoothie and won't change the texture.
- Fruit: I used some unsweetened applesauce because it was so much easier to add to the blender. You can also just use an entire apple if you prefer it. Simply cut it up and remove the core.Then then banana for natural sweetness without added sugar.
- Dairy: Greek yogurt has the best texture for smoothies! Use plain yogurt so that you don't create a confusing mixture of flavors. If you are dairy-free, you can use coconut-milk yogurt instead. I've also used unsweetened almond milk in this recipe as well, but any type of unsweetened milk will work.
- Spices: In order to make it taste like apple pie, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and ground ginger. You could also just skip the cinnamon and ginger and just add some pumpkin pie spice or allspice instead!
- Nut Butter: I used almond butter, but you can use any type of unsweetened, creamy nut butter that you enjoy.
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this apple pie smoothie, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With This Breakfast Apple Smoothie
When I'm in a rush, I will usually just enjoy this smoothie by itself. It has so many nutrients in it that you won't really want much else to go with it. If you want to serve it with some other brunch or breakfast ideas, this apple cinnamon quinoa breakfast bowl has a lot of the same flavors.
For another super-quick breakfast, make some frozen breakfast quesadillas. They are portable too, so you can grab them as you are going out the door!
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Apple Smoothies
Follow these tips and you'll have a perfect apple smoothie every time!
- Add some greens to the smoothie for even more nutrition. Spinach hides really well in smoothies. It might change the color but it doesn't add much flavor or texture, so you barely notice it.
- Top it with a swirl of sugar-free caramel syrup! This will taste like a caramel apple.
- Experiment with different fruits. Try adding in some of your favorite frozen berries to make a different kind of pie smoothie. So instead of applesauce, add some strawberries and blueberries.
- Make sure not to use sweetened applesauce. This will make the smoothie taste much too sweet (and increase the amount of sugar in the smoothie as well).
Commonly Asked Questions About Apple Banana Smoothies
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
How do I make my apple pie smoothie thicker?
If your smoothie is too thin, add a bit more nut butter to it. You can also make it thicker with a few ice cubes.
My smoothie is too thick! What do I do?
If your smoothie is too thick to drink, you probably need a little more almond milk. You can also thin it down with a little bit of water, but that will also dilute the flavor of the smoothie.
What are some things I can add on top of my apple pie smoothie?
Some of my favorite healthy smoothie toppings are sugar-free whipped cream, chopped walnuts, or even some chopped-up apple pieces and toasted granola.
How do I freeze my own apples?
Using frozen apple slices will give your smoothie a better texture (and save you prep time in the kitchen).
To freeze fresh apples, just follow these steps:
- Peel and core your apple.
- Cut the apple into medium-sized pieces.
- Add a cup of water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and soak the apple slices in it for 5 minutes. Pat them dry.
- Place the apples on a baking sheet. Don't let the pieces touch.
- Freeze the apples on the baking sheet for at least 4 hours. After they are completely frozen, place them in a resealable freezer bag and put the bag back in the freezer.
The apples will stay fresh for up to 9 months!
Which is the best blender to use for smoothies?
If you are just making a smoothie for yourself, then you probably only need a single-serve Nutri Ninja Blender. If you will be making smoothies for other family members (like kids), then I suggest investing in a larger one like a Vitamix.
Vitamix blenders are powerhouses that last forever! I highly recommend it if you plan to make these smoothie recipes frequently.
Do you need to peel apples for a smoothie?
this really comes down to preference and the power of your blender. If you have a high powered blender, like a Vitamix, then you can leave the apple peel on. Just make sure to wash it well.
If you prefer the apple without skin or have a weaker blender, it's best to peel it first for a creamier smoothie.
More Amazing Smoothie Recipes
Apple Banana Smoothie
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1 whole apple, cored)
- 1 U ripe banana
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cups unsweetened almond milk (adjust as needed)
- 1/4 cup ice
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.