Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta with a creamy lemon Parmesan sauce and plenty of chicken and broccoli for only 400 calories per serving.
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta is a healthier version of your favorite restaurant dish with the most delicious creamy Parmesan sauce, fresh broccoli, chicken, and a touch of lemon. Its comforting, filling, and has about half the calories of the restaurant version.
This dish was inspired by one of my favorite East coast pasta dishes - Chicken, Ziti, Broccoli. It's something I haven't seen much on menus since moving West but back home almost every menu has some version of this delicious creamy and lemony dish. It's usually a ridiculously huge plate of pasta (enough for at least three), tons of chicken and fresh broccoli, and a light lemony cream sauce. Then a mountain of Parmesan cheese. This version takes all those classic flavors but lightened up. It still tastes delicious but you don't have to worry that your dinner has more calories than you should eat all day.
The key to making this dish is the lightened up cream sauce made with a combination of 2% milk and chicken broth. No cream needed! The pasta is cooked in the liquid so that the pasta starch combined with the broth and milk to create a delicious, creamy sauce. It's a great trick for making any lightened up sauce. Then the Parmesan cheese is stirred in and you have one amazing sauce.
When making this Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta,
- Although I usually use chicken breast, you could also use chicken thighs or shrimp in the recipe. If you decide to make it with shrimp, just be really careful about not overcooking the shrimp since they cook so quickly.
- For a vegetarian version, just leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth instead.
- If broccoli isn't your favorite veggie, you could use asparagus, cauliflower, broccolini, zucchini, or a combination of your favorite veggies instead.
- To switch up the flavors, consider swapping in a different cheese. A creamy goat cheese or feta cheese would taste amazing and totally change the flavor profile of the dish.
Looking for more healthy pasta recipes?
- One Pot Caprese Pasta
- Pasta Primavera with Spinach Pesto
- Lemon Broccoli Pasta with Shrimp
- Sausage, Spinach, and Cherry Tomato Pasta Arrabiata
- Zucchini and Turkey Bolognese
- More healthy pasta recipes
Here are some of the tools and products I used when cooking this recipe:
- High fiber pasta: For a healthier pasta option, I usually try to use a high fiber pasta like this one or this one. They usually have 2-3 times the amount of fiber and more protein. You could also use a whole wheat pasta.
- Since the chicken broth adds a lot of flavor to the sauce in this recipe, I like to use a really flavorful high quality chicken broth like this one or homemade if I have some in the freezer.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 8 oz. high fiber pasta
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 4 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 U onion, diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat up the olive oil (and some extra cooking spray if needed) in a large saute pan and cook the chicken until it is lightly browned and just cooked. Set aside in a separate bowl. Be careful not to overcook the chicken. It's fine if its a little underdone since it will cook again with the sauce.
- In the same saute pan, add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until it begins to become translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
- Add in whatever pasta you are using and 2 cups of the chicken broth, red pepper, and basil. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the water is almost completely absorbed and pasta is close to cooked about 8 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and the additional 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cover and let simmer for about 4 minutes until broccoli is bright green.
- Add in the chicken, milk, cheese, and lemon juice. Stir together and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Turn off and let the pasta sit for 2-3 minutes longer so the sauce can continue to thicken. Serve!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.