One Pot Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta that comes together in less than thirty minutes. This healthier pasta dish has half the calories of a restaurant version, is easy to make, and it has so much flavor. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
A healthier version of Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta that is all made in one pot in under 30 minutes. Tender mushrooms and chicken breast in a creamy Parmesan sauce all with pasta - there isn't a dinner much better than that in my mind. With just 437 calories (9 Weight Watchers SmartPoints), this is comfort food without the guilt.
I have been really into one pot pasta dishes the last few weeks. I think it is a symptom of feeling stressed and overwhelmed. By the end of the day, I want a meal that I can make in less than thirty minutes and something that is seriously comforting. And this creamy chicken and mushroom pasta delivers. It is so easy to make and you won't believe how delicious the sauce is without using a ton of heavy cream.
The key to making a thick and creamy sauce without using tons of heavy cream is to cook the pasta in just enough broth to create a sauce. The broth cooks down and combines with the natural starch in the pasta to create a flavorful, surprisingly creamy sauce. Then by adding just a touch of half and half and some Parmesan cheese, you take the sauce to the next level. I am talking a smooth, garlicky, cheesy sauce that is delicious. Especially with the chicken and earthy mushrooms. Yum.
There are all kind of ways to switch up the flavors in this recipe. I have suggested a few below to give you some ideas, but the possibilities are endless.
Ways to Personalize this One Pot Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Protein: There are all kinds of options for protein in this dish. I reached for chicken breast since that is the traditional option, but chicken thighs would work as well. You could also use chicken or turkey sausage - so good. Shrimp would work too. For a vegetarian option, use chickpeas or white beans and swap in vegetable broth.
- Add tomato: If you love having tomatoes with your pasta, you could add a drained can of diced tomatoes or fresh cherry tomatoes to the mix.
- Spice: There are very few recipes where I don't add just a touch of heat. If you like spice, I would recommend adding some red pepper flakes to the mix while you saute the onions.
- More veggies: To kick up the nutrients in this dish, consider adding some more veggies. Spinach, asparagus, or broccoli are my favorite options.
Looking for more one pot pasta dishes?
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
One Pot Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 2 tsp. grill seasoning
- 1 U onion, diced
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 8 oz. high fiber pasta (break spaghetti or linguine in half)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with grill seasoning. Add to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
Add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms are becoming tender. Stir often so the garlic doesn't burn.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and simmer for 12-15 minutes until pasta is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Stir as needed, especially as the liquid is absorbed more. Add extra liquid if needed.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese and half and half. Then stir in the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Let rest for 5 minutes for the sauce to thicken.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.