Chicken Fajita Pasta is a hearty, easy to make, one pot meal that your family will absolutely love! This wholesome meal is packed with lean chicken breast and veggies for a flavor-packed dinner that’s also good for you. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
This post is sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. All comments and opinions are my own.
What if I told you that you could have a creamy, delicious, restaurant style Chicken Fajita Pasta dish on the table tonight for dinner in just twenty minutes? And that it only takes one pot to cook everything? Today’s recipe provides both!
The first time I ever tried Chicken Fajita Pasta was at a friend’s house and I fell in love immediately. Between the creamy and spicy tomato sauce, tender peppers and onions, and pasta – it was a dish that I couldn’t wait to recreate at home.
However, when I finally reached out for the recipe, it was way too complex for a quick weeknight meal. So, I knew I had to come up with a simplified version that was easy to make but still tasted amazing.
The first step was reaching for Tyson® Grilled & Ready® Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast. This tasty chicken can be found in the freezer section at Walmart. It’s 100% all-natural, made with white meat chicken and is free of antibiotics. With 19 grams of protein per serving, this is a product I always have at home for quick meals, to throw in salads, or to make sandwiches, quesadillas, tacos, and burrito bowls. It is super versatile and easy to use.
It is also one of my favorite shortcuts. Not having to trim, chop, and cook the chicken saves me anywhere from 15-20 minutes per recipe. It’s a life-saver on busy nights. Plus, you never have to worry about your chicken going bad or waiting hours for your chicken to defrost. It’s ready whenever you are.
My other favorite shortcut – the salad bar! If you are a slow chopper or just want to save time, head directly to the salad bar. You can grab pre-cut veggies and shave another 10-15 minutes from your prep time.
- Cheese: You will probably want to add some cheese to this dish. Shredded cheddar, pepper jack, or even queso fresco are all yummy options!
- Avocado: Adding some chopped avocado right on top of this pasta is pretty dreamy. It balances out the spice in all the right ways.
- Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt: If you can’t live without sour cream on your fajitas, you will want to top the pasta with some as well. You can also use Greek yogurt for a “better for you” option.
- Green Onions and Cilantro: To add some freshness, consider topping the pasta with some chopped green onions and fresh cilantro.
- Fresh Jalapeños: If you love spice, add some diced fresh jalapeños right on top. They add crunch and tons of spicy flavor.
Fajita Pasta Recipe Ideas
- Add fiber: Consider adding a can of rinsed and drained black or pinto beans. It makes the dish more filling and adds extra fiber and nutrients.
- Add extra veggies: If you want to pack in even more nutrition, add some extra veggies. Try spinach, zucchini, summer squash, or cauliflower.
- Spice level: It’s easy to adjust the spice level in this pasta depending on what your family likes. You can use more or less chili powder to start. You can also use fire roasted diced tomatoes in place of the green chili tomatoes to cut back on the heat. If you like things extra spicy, swap in a couple of jalapeños or poblano peppers for the green pepper.
- Make it cheesy: It is hard not to think about making a cheesy version of this dish. One way to do that is to add about ½ cup of reduced fat cream cheese to the pasta before serving. This really ups the creaminess of the sauce. You can also add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese on top before serving. So good.
- Extra whole grains: This dish works with regular, high fiber, or whole grain pasta. Opt for whole wheat pasta for additional whole grains. Any pasta shape will work.
Ready to try out this delicious weeknight dinner? Head over to your local Walmart to pick up a bag of Tyson Grilled & Ready Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast. From 1/12/19-2/10/19, you save $1 on one Tyson Grilled & Ready product at Walmart with this Ibotta rebate offer.
One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 U green pepper, sliced
- 1 U red pepper, sliced
- 1 U yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast
- 3 tbsp. taco seasoning (store bought or homemade)
- 10 oz. canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 8 ounces high fiber pasta
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes until beginning to soften.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Add the chicken and taco seasoning. Stir for one minute.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil. Immediately turn down to a simmer and cover.
Cook for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed. If needed, cook an additional 2-3 minutes. The cooking time can vary based on the type and brand of pasta you use. Check your pasta after 10 minutes to avoid overcooking. You can always drain a bit of extra liquid if needed to make sure the pasta doesn't get too mushy.
Top with green onions and cilantro.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.