These Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Energy Balls are the perfect sweet and salty snack! Packed with rolled oats and peanut butter, these tasty treats are satisfying and filling.
These yummy peanut butter energy balls are packed with delicious chocolate and the salty crunch of real pretzels are the ultimate sweet and salty treat. You'll love them! Other energy balls you'll love are these No Bake Date Brownie Bites and Chickpea Cookie Dough Bites.
I'll be honest - these are a bit more on the indulgent side. They aren't super low in calories. But, if you can stick to just eating a couple, they are really the perfect afternoon treat. Eat the entire pan, and you might be in trouble! Be warned, they are so good that you'll probably want to eat all of them. So maybe save this one for when you know you'll have some friends over to share.
These were inspired by a love of salty and sweet desserts and from a recipe that I saw in Eating Well. I adjusted the ingredients by adding more pretzels, oats, and reduced-fat peanut butter to lessen the calorie count and made them a little larger.
Key Ingredients For Peanut Butter Energy Balls
There are just five simple ingredients in these energy balls. After you make them one time, you'll probably have this recipe memorized.
- Pretzels: Any type of hard, crunchy pretzels will work in this recipe. To keep the calorie count lower, use plain pretzels. If you are worried about your sodium intake, get unsalted.
- Peanut Butter: I used reduced-fat peanut butter to keep the calories low. Whether you use creamy or chunky is a matter of preference. You could also use reduced-fat almond or cashew butter instead.
- Oats: The oats are the key to making these energy balls a hearty and nutritious snack. Oats are packed with fiber and whole grains, and turn these into something that will keep you full and energized.
- Honey: This adds the perfect touch of sweetness to these energy balls. Maple syrup also works, just make sure it is the real stuff.
- Chocolate Chips: Sugar-free chocolate chips are another option if you are looking for ways to cut the calories back even further.
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this energy balls recipe, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With Energy Balls
These little energy balls are the perfect post-workout snack since they are packed with healthy fats and protein. They also make a delicious dessert.
To boost the nutrition in these, consider pairing them with some Greek yogurt for extra protein or crumble them on top of frozen yogurt. They are also delicious paired with a smoothie like this Blueberry Banana Smoothie or Mango Spinach Smoothie.
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
Follow these tips to make sure that these treats turn out divine every single time!
- Crush the pretzels into very small pieces. If the pieces are too big, everything won't stick together very well. The smaller the pieces, the better.
- To switch up the flavors, consider adding some chopped nuts or seeds to the recipe. Chia seeds, chopped walnuts, or chopped almonds would all be delicious and add another crunch factor.
- For an extra chocolatey treat, after you make the balls dip them in melted chocolate. Then place them on parchment paper and in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Energy Balls
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Is this recipe keto-friendly?
No, this recipe is not keto-friendly. The pretzels and chocolate chips both have far too many carbs to be considered keto.
What other ingredient substitutions can I make?
There are lots of ways that you can customize this recipe to make it taste completely different. For example, instead of melting chocolate chips, melt some white chocolate or even butterscotch chips.
Mix some cinnamon into the peanut butter when you roll them into balls.
You could also use different types of nut or seed butter.
How do you store leftover energy bites?
There are two ways to store leftover peanut butter balls - in the refrigerator or the freezer.
To store them in the freezer:
- Freeze them on parchment paper and place them in a resealable freezer bag. Otherwise, they will all freeze in a giant clump. The peanut butter balls will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To store in the refrigerator:
- Place the energy bites in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How do I make them taste sweeter without adding sugar?
I think the chocolate coating makes them taste plenty sweet. If you want them to taste even sweeter, add a few drops of sugar-free sweetener to the batter before you roll them into balls.
More Delicious Peanut Butter Recipes You’ll Love:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Energy Balls
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.