This easy Blueberry Banana Smoothie is easy to make, tastes sweet without added sugars, and is packed with good for you ingredients. Plus it will keep you full and energized. Jump to Recipe
This nutrition-dense banana blueerry smoothie tastes incredible, will fill you up, and makes a perfect snack or on-the-go breakfast option!
I just love a good smoothie. It’s tasty, filling, provides extra servings of fruits and veggies, and is refreshing on a hot day.
What's not to love?
When you buy a smoothie in a smoothie shop, it often contains lots of extra ingredients and sugar you don’t really need. However, when you make your own smoothie at home, you have control over the ingredients and can make it into whatever flavor you want it to be.
That said, I know some people will say that smoothies from a smoothie shop always taste better than smoothies you make at home. That may have been true, until now!
Today, I’m sharing my favorite blueberry banana smoothie recipe that is so tasty. The only way you’d know it was made at home is because you made it!
Not only is it packed with flavor, but it’s also loaded with essential nutrients that will leave you feeling very satisfied and help you feel your best. You can feel good about drinking this smoothie any time of the day.
How to Make a Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tongue-tingling nutrition-packed smoothie at home:
- Unsweetened almond milk: Every smoothie needs some sort of liquid in order to blend correctly. I used unsweetened almond milk to give this smoothie a slightly creamy and nutty flavor. You can adjust the amount I used slightly depending on how thick or runny you prefer your smoothies to be.
- Spinach: Spinach is my favorite green to put into smoothies because it’s packed with nutrition, yet its mild flavor doesn’t change the flavor profile of the recipe. That makes it perfect to use in smoothies for kids!
- Banana: Bananas are one of my favorite fruits to add to smoothies. They help thicken it up, sweeten it naturally, and lend a terrific flavor that pairs well with almost any other fruit combination.
- Avocado: Gives this smoothie a decadent, rich creaminess while also adding in some healthy fats.
- Frozen blueberries: As the primary fruit in this smoothie recipe, blueberries provide a delicious flavor and antioxidants. Not to mention that beautiful blue/purple color! I always have frozen blueberries on hand for smoothies which is a great way to make this smoothie all year long.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are chock full of nutrients including antioxidants, omega-3 fats, and fiber. You don’t need to grind them up to get their benefits; simply toss them into your smoothie when you blend everything together.
- Almond butter: I like to add almond butter for a punch of protein and a delicious nutty flavor.
- Spices: Cinnamon and ground ginger add depth to this flavor profile.
Note: For a complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this smoothie recipe, check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
Recipe Tips and Ideas For Blueberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Here are a few tips to help your smoothie come out perfectly every time as well as a few ideas on how to add variety to your smoothie.
- Add a burst of citrus by adding a splash of lemon juice.
- If you want a thicker smoothie, add some Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt can be a bit tart, so if that bothers you, simply add a dash of vanilla and some honey or agave.
- you don’t have almond milk, you can substitute any type of milk (dairy or non-dairy).
- Add ¼ cup of oats in the blender for a thicker, even more filling like an oatmeal smoothie.
- Add toppings! A spoonful of nuts, seeds, or granola to the top of your smoothie can make it feel fresh and new.
- Turn your smoothie into a smoothie bowl by pouring your smoothie into a bowl and adding some fresh banana slices or granola on top.
What To Serve With A Smoothie
A good smoothie can go with almost anything! Here are a few lip-smackingly delicious ideas.
- Egg dishes such as Broccoli Parmesan Baked Oven Omelet, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins, or Quinoa Egg Muffins are a healthy complimentary dish.
- Baked Blueberry Buttermilk Oatmeal pairs perfectly with this blueberry banana smoothie. Blueberries all day!
- Muffins like Banana Quinoa Chia Muffins and Zucchini Carrot Muffins and smoothies make a terrific on-the-go meal.
- And of course, you can never go wrong with smoothies and pancakes (or waffles) such as Flaxseed Meal Pancakes (Low Carb), Healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes, or Protein-Packed Oat Waffles.
Frequently Asked Questions About Blueberry Banana Blast Smoothie
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Can I make this smoothie ahead of time?
Yes, you can. However, when you make it in advance and put it in the fridge, it will tend to melt and get runnier and separate. However, the flavor profile will still remain the same and it’ll taste delicious.
You can put it in the freezer for a few minutes to thicken back up, but my favorite way to “fix” a runny smoothie is to put it back in the blender with some ice cubes.
Can I use fresh blueberries in this smoothie?
Using frozen blueberries is a great way to make your smoothie cold without adding ice. If you use fresh blueberries, simply add several ice cubes during blending.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love:
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.25 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 U ripe banana
- 1/2 U avocado
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.