These Green Chile Turkey Burgers with diced green chiles, pickled red onions. and cilantro are packed with flavor and anything but a boring turkey burger! Jump to Recipe
These slight spicy Turkey Burgers made with lean ground turkey and green chilies are some of the best you will ever have. Serve them with some grilled vegetables or a Mexican Chopped Salad for a perfect warm weather meal.
No matter the season, I still use my grill as much as possible. If that means using an umbrella or a winter coat, so be it. Of course, I use it way more in the warmer weather months than in the colder ones, but I still use it year-round.
There is no weather I wouldn't go out and grill in to make these Green Chile Turkey Burgers though! These delightful burgers make the perfect excuse to get out and grill. And, honestly they taste best if grilled. So, I kinda have to fire up the barbecue if I'm going to eat these at all in my house.
Packed full of green chiles, both in the burger and well as on top, the turkey patty is slightly spicy and chock full of flavor. One of my favorite ways to serve it wrapped up in Bibb lettuce leaves and then topped with pickled red onions, melted mozzarella cheese, and some avocado slices. These burgers also work great when made as sliders and will fly right off the table during football games or weekend gatherings.
How Do You Make Green Chile Turkey Burgers?
First, I like to make sure I get the most important topping made so it has time to pickle. That's right, the onions!
To make the pickled onions, slice a red onion thin using a knife or a mandolin. Add them to a bowl and cover in lime juice. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
While those are pickling, mix together the turkey, half the drained green chilis, and the spices. Divide the mixture into four equal-sized patties.
Take them out to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until completely cooked. Don't keep turning them, wait till the 5 minutes is up per side before flipping. (You can also grill these indoors on a skillet or a grill pan.)
Take the remaining chilis and mix them with cilantro. Top each burger with the green chile and cilantro mixture, the pickled onions, and any of your other favorite toppings. (More on that below.)
Is Ground Turkey Healthy?
Is ground turkey healthy for you? Healthier than, say, ground beef? I get that question a lot. You can find out a ton of info on ground turkey here if you want the full picture. But, in a nutshell, here are some facts about the healthiness of ground turkey:
- Depending on the type of ground turkey you purchase (the leaner, the better), it is healthier for you than ground beef. It contains less saturated fat, and less calories and cholesterol than lean ground beef.
- Ground turkey is also a great source of protein and vitamins B-6 and 12 as well as A and C.
- One serving (4 oz) of ground turkey contains only 220 calories; 19 grams of protein; 0 carbs, fiber, or sugar; and 17 grams of fat, plus calcium and iron.
- Check your turkey fat content for the true value of its health, the more white meat in it the less fat and calories.
What Are Some Good Toppings for Turkey Burgers?
I love, love, love pickled onions, but here are some of my other favorite burger toppings for these Green Chili Turkey Burgers.
- Pickled jalapenos
- Spicy pickles
- Cheddar or monterey jack cheese or even queso fresco
- Roasted corn
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Black beans
- Sour cream
- Black olives
- Slices of tomatoes
- Hot sauces
Ideas for Serving Green Chile Turkey Burgers
While I like to serve these on Bibb lettuce, you could also use romaine or another lettuce with larger leaves. Some other ideas:
Serve on a low-carb bun or tortilla. I like to use sesame seed hamburger buns when I'm feeling like eating the full carb bun. Pretzel buns are a really great option too.
If you're serving sliders, use the slider buns you can buy at the grocery store or I also like to use Hawaiian rolls as well.
You could also make these into turkey burger meatballs and serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for a low-carb, high-protein meal.
How will you serve these turkey burgers?
Looking for More Turkey Burger Recipes?
Green Chile Turkey Burgers
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 8 oz canned greens chiles, drained (or use your own fresh roasted Hatch or Poblano chiles for a better flavor)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 U red onion, sliced thin
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.