Turkey Apple Burgers
Turkey Apple Burgers with lean ground turkey, apples, and sage are a delicious twist on a turkey burger that's healthy and full of flavor.
Turkey Apple Burgers are a healthy and easy way to bring all the flavors of fall into a quick dinner that is good for you and packed with flavor. No more boring turkey burgers around here.
With fall in full swing and Thanksgiving on the horizon, I have turkey on the brain. But with busy weeknights and a hectic work schedule, most turkey dishes are out of the question. That is, except the humble turkey burger, which is a staple in our home. Normally when I make turkey burgers, I automatically reach for spice to add flavor but this time I wanted to do something different and decided to try apples, which were the perfect way to add both moisture and flavor. Paired with fresh sage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder - it's a seriously delicious, fall inspired burger.
Now let's talk about the toppings, because this burger calls for some amazing toppings. Let's start with the cheese. I recommend going with a classic cheddar or a creamy brie, which both pair great with apples. After that I would reach for some whole grain mustard and a touch of either cranberry sauce or cranberry chutney. So good. The top it all off with some fresh spinach, thinly sliced red onion, and apple slices for an epic burger.
These burgers freeze well so I would recommend making some extras to keep in the freezer for a quick future meal. To freeze the burgers raw, place them on wax paper or wrap each individually in plastic wrap so they don't stick together and store them in a large, freezer safe ziploc bag. To store cooked burgers, let them first cool completely. Once they are cooled, place them on a baking sheet or plate and place them in the freezer for 1 hour. Then you can add them to a ziploc bag, either wrapped individually or with wax paper between each burger. Cooked burgers can be reheated in the microwave in 1-2 minutes.
Tips for Making this Turkey Apple Burger:
- Since I have turkey on the brain, it was a natural choice for this burger. However you could also use ground chicken, lean ground pork, or lean bison meat. Ground turkey sausage is also delicious in this recipe, just cut back on the spices.
- If you can, I highly recommned grating the apple for this recipe. It takes a few extra minutes but will ensure that you get some apple flavor in every bite and helps add moisture to the entire burger.
- If you love the combination of apple and cranberries, you could toss in a few dried cranberries as well. Usually instead of adding them to the patties, I like to top my burger with a touch of cranberry sauce or chutney.
- Sage can be a stronger herb so if you want a more mild flavor, use basil or oregano. Rosemary also works but can also be a strong flavor.
Looking for more healthy burger recipes?
- Tilapia Fish Burgers
- Grilled Cheeseburger Wraps
- Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers
- Cowboy Turkey Burgers
- Roasted Poblano Cheeseburgers
Here are some of the products and tools I used for this recipe:
- This is the box grater I have and I love it since it has a small container on the bottom to catch and store whatever you are grating. It's not a necessary feature but it is one that I have come to appreciate since it is less messy and just easier.
- I like to cook these burgers in a cast iron skillet so they brown and caramelize a bit on the outside. I have had this one for years and really love it.
Turkey Apple Burgers
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 green apples
- 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp sage, minced (or thyme)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
I will make these again and again. So delicious and healthy!
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.