There is almost nothing better to me than a delicious pesto. I love the combination of delicious herbs, nuts, lemon juice, garlic, and just a touch of cheese. However if you have ever made pesto or checked out the stats on store bought versions, you know it is packed with calories. Sometimes over 100 calories per 2 tablespooons. Luckily with a few slight modifications, namely using vegetable broth to replace some of the oil, you can make a delicious pesto for half the calories and fat. This version uses cilantro instead of the traditional basil. I love using it as a dipping sauce or sandwich spread, but it also works with pastas and roasted meat or vegetable dishes. Just drizzle some on top before serving. Delicious.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Skinny Cilantro Pesto
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 cups cilantro, packed
- 6 tbsp. water (or vegetable broth)
- 4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup almonds (or other nut – walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 U garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Add everything to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.