These Buffalo Chicken and Quinoa Meatballs are a healthier spin on buffalo chicken meatballs. Made with lean ground chicken and whole-grain quinoa, these meatballs deliver on flavor and nutrition.
When it comes to meatballs, buffalo chicken meatballs are high on the list of favorite party foods. The bite-sized meatballs drenched in buffalo sauce are hard to beat. But what if we could make them healthier? These Chicken and Quinoa Buffalo Meatballs do just that!
With football season gearing up this weekend, it’s time to start to talk about football food, which I’d venture to say we get all get behind whether or not we are true fans of the game.
As a Notre Dame grad and native New Englander, football runs in my veins, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit I get just as excited about all the delicious food. So whether you whip up these tasty slow cooker meatballs for the big game or for a delicious family dinner, they are sure to please.
What You'll Need
- Ground chicken: Since this recipe was recreating the flavors in buffalo wings, I used ground chicken. These would also work with ground turkey or ground pork.
- Cooked quinoa: Quinoa acts as a binder in this recipe, much like breadcrumbs would. They also add a slightly nutty flavor and boost the nutritional content with extra protein and fiber.
- Carrots and celery: Another nod to buffalo wings, the carrots and celery add flavor to these meatballs and are a great way to add some veggies as well. Grated or minced onion could also be used.
- Egg: The egg helps the meatball to stay together. These meatballs won't' hold together without the egg as a binder.
- Spices: Although this meatball gets most of its flavor from the sauce, it should also taste good on its own. Adding garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper ensure each bite has a good flavor.
- Buffalo sauce: Use your favorite buffalo sauce to coat the meatballs. Frank's buffalo wing sauce is delicious in both mild and medium heat levels. Primal Palate also makes a great buffalo sauce.
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken and Quinoa Meatballs
Whether serving these as a tasty party appetizer or for dinner, there are so many ways to serve these chicken meatballs.
- Lettuce Wraps: For a light meal, serve these wrapped in lettuce with shredded carrots and ranch dressing.
- Grain bowls: Make an extra batch of quinoa and use it as the base of a grain bowl with meatballs, cooked veggies, and a drizzle of extra buffalo sauce. This works great for meal prep.
- Sandwiches: Make a buffalo version of a classic meatball sub.
- Fancy appetizer: Serve these meatballs on a toothpick with a cube of blue cheese and butter lettuce.
- Salads: These taste great on salads, especially when paired with lots of crunchy vegetables.
Switch Up the Sauce
While these quinoa meatballs taste great in buffalo sauce, you can also toss them with different sauces to switch up the flavor. Or simply serve your favorite sauce on the side. Here are some to try!
How to Cook Quinoa
If you are cooking quinoa from scratch, simply add the quinoa to a pot with water or broth. Use 2 cups of liquid for every 1 cup of quinoa. Bring it to a boil and then turn down to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat. Do not open the cover. Let sit fro 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the most common questions about making these meatballs.
These meatballs can be fully cooked in the oven. Simply extend the cooking time to 18-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Then toss with buffalo sauce.
If you prefer browning the outside of the meatballs in a pan instead of the oven, that will work great. Just work in batches. This steps ensures the meatballs stay together while they cook in the slow cooker.
There are many different varieties of buffalo sauce from mild to medium to hot. Most buffalo sauce will have some heat. Also it is best to use a buffalo wing sauce since it is thicker and better coats the meatballs.
Buffalo Chicken and Quinoa Meatballs
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 lbs. 99% lean ground chicken
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1.5 cups buffalo sauce (like Frank’s)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.