Healthy Chicken Fried Rice that's packed with veggies and better than take out. Make this quick and easy gluten free and Weight Watchers friendly meal to satisfy your Chinese food cravings.
Forget takeout with this Healthy Chicken Fried Rice, you can enjoy fried rice at home without the guilt. This recipe is easy to make, filled with protein and veggies, and has just 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints and 366 calories for a big serving.
Confession time. I love Panda Express. The orange chicken and fried rice is delicious. Lucky for me, I don't live anywhere near one and it is an occassional indulgence on road trips since as we all know it's not the healthiest option. However, it is actually pretty easy to make some amazing fried rice at home that is actually good for you.
The key to making a really good chicken fried rice at home that actually crisps up and browns is using cold, previously cooked rice. To make this easy, I usually try to plan a meal with rice a few days before and just save the leftovers. Then you just need to grab some previously cooked chicken, which I always have on hand, and veggies and you are ready to make dinner in about 15 minutes.
A few more notes to consider before making this recipe. Although traditional fried rice uses peas, I prefer to use edamame instead. Not only does it pack in some extra protein, it also retains a great color and texture when cooked. Sometimes peas can get mushy and brown. You'll notice I didn't use either in the recipe, but many people have asked about adding them in. Also if you prefer a more traditional rice, use white rice instead of brown.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Healthy Chicken Fried Rice
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (GF if needed)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1 U carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 U red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Whisk together the five-spice powder, coriander, cumin, ginger, and soy sauce.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Saute the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and green beans to the pan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, or until they become tender. Add a little water to the pan (as necessary to keep the carrots from sticking) and cook with a lid.
- Add the bell peppers, rice, chicken and sauce. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle the green onions over the top and serve hot.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.