These easy Lemon Basil Pork Chops are bursting with bright flavor. Cook them on the grill, in the oven, or in the air fryer for a delicious and flavorful meal.
If you have been looking for a new way to make pork chops, these Basil Pork Chops should be at the top of the list. Juicy, tender pork chops marinated in the most delicious lemon basil sauce make a perfect weeknight meal.
This week I was planning on grilling pork chops so I decided it was time to start working on a basil marinade that could be used for pork, chicken, and dish.
Inspired by the flavors of pesto, this marinade is made with plenty of fresh basil. garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. You can also throw in more fresh herbs if you like. Rosemary is delicious.
Then all you have to do is marinade the pork chops. Since the marinade has lots of lemon, it only needs to marinate for about 30 minutes. This is enough time to flavor the pork and also helps it stay nice and tender.
Then you can cook it in the oven, in the air fryer, or on the grill. Drizzle a little extra sauce on top and it's a delicious meal.
Ingredients and Easy Swaps
Here is everything you need to make these tasty pork chops.
- Pork chops: This recipe can be used for almost any type of pork chops including boneless or bone-in. The only thing that will change is the cooking time since thicker, bone-in chops need a longer cook time. This recipe also works great with chicken and fish.
- Fresh basil: The main flavor in this marinade is fresh basil. If you prefer more variety, add some cilantro, parsley, oregano, thyme, or rosemary as well.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice really is the best option for this recipe. The lemon juice works to tenderize the pork and add flavor. Lime juice, orange juice, or a combination of citrus could also be used.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds the best flavor to the marinade and the lemon juice mellows out the flavor of the garlic. Swap in minced garlic or garlic powder if it is all you have.
- Olive oil: The marinade needs fat and the flavor of olive oil complements the other flavors nicely. Avocado oil or another oil can be used.
- Salt and pepper: Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper have the best flavor.
How to Make Lemon Basil Pork Chops
These are three ways to cook these pork chops depending on the season and your preferences.
Marinade the Pork
The easiest way to make the marinade is in a blender or food processor. Simply blend everything together until well combined. If you want to make the marinade by hand, make sure to chop the basil finely.
Set aside about 1/4 of the marinade to drizzle over the pork after it is cooked. If you like lots of sauce, consider doubling the marinade.
Then add the pork to the marinade. For the best flavor, try to marinate the pork for at least 30 minutes, ideally for about 1 hour. Thicker pork may need longer to really soak up all the flavor.
Grilled Pork Chops
Preheat the grill and oil the grates if needed. Remove the pork from the marinade, letting any excess marinade drip off.
Add the pork chops to the grill. Let cook for 4-6 minutes per side for boneless pork chops. Make sure the pork reaches an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees (medium-rare) or 155 degrees (m edium-well).
Then let the pork rest for at least 5 minutes. The pork temperature will increase while it rests, especially if it is tented with foil.
Baked Pork Chops
To bake the pork chops, start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees. Place the pork chops on a baking sheet, covered with foil for easier clean-up, or in a glass baking dish. Cook the pork for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. This cooking time is for a pork chop about 1 inch thick. Bone-in pork chops will take longer.
Air Fryer Pork Chops
Pork chops come out really delicious in the air fryer with a tender and juicy inside and a nicely browned exterior. For 1-inch thick boneless pork chops, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Cook for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches at least 145-150 degrees. Let rest before serving.
Bone-in pork chops, that are about 1.5 inches thick, will need 10-13 minutes in the air fryer at 400 degrees. This is for a medium temperature. Cook longer for more well-done. Let rest before serving.
Side Dishes for Basil Pork Chops
These pork chops can be served with just about anything. Here are some favorites.
- Vegetables: Make some roasted green beans, sauteed carrots, grilled vegetable skewers, or sauteed broccoli.
- Potatoes: Serve this with an easy baked potato or make some roasted fingerling potatoes or honey roasted sweet potatoes.
- Salads: During warm months, this is so delicious to pair with a nice hearty salad like this easy lentil salad or spinach salad.
- Grains: Pair this with some steamed white rice, brown rice, quinoa, or creamy basil parmesan polenta.
Lemon Basil Pork Chops
- Get in your Inbox
- 1.33 lbs lean boneless pork chops
- 3/4 cup basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.