Almond Flour Pancakes with Flax are a low carb and keto dream breakfast made with almond flour, flaxseed meal, and almond milk. They can be made ahead of time for meal prep and have 235 calories, 7 grams of carbohydrates, and 10 grams of protein. Jump to Recipe
Almond Flour Pancakes with Flax will quickly become one of your favorite breakfasts, especially if you are looking for low carb, paleo, or keto pancake options. Packed with protein filled almond meal and fiber packed flaxseed meal, these pancakes taste like the real thing but are so good for you. We alternate these with flaxseed pancakes topped with berries and these Low Carb Almond Meal Pancakes.
These easy Almond Flour Pancakes are my go-to dish on the weekends. I love the process of preparing and eating pancakes on a lazy weekend morning. Music blasting, coffee in hand, and the simple act of whipping up and eating some delicious pancakes. For a different, lower carb version of traditional pancakes, I love making these almond and flax pancakes. You can definitely add in some of your favorite fruit, bananas, chocolate chips, or even 1-2 tablespoons of nut butter, which has been my favorite lately. They keep great so make enough for leftovers during the week.
When making a low carb pancake with almond flour, the most important thing is to make sure the pancakes don't become overly dense. Adding eggs and flaxseed meal helps here. The eggs add fluffiness and help the pancakes to rise. The flaxseed meal acts in a similar manner. Once the flaxseed meal combines with liquid, it acts in a similar manner to an egg. This is important in this recipe since it helps bring texture and lift to the pancakes.
Tips and Tricks for Almond Flour Pancakes
- Almond meal vs. almond flour: There are lots of questions about almond flour and what is the best kind to use. With this particular recipe, I have used all kinds of almond flour with success. You can use super fine, fine, coarse, or homemade almond flour. If you are worried about using almond flour or almond meal, both work great. Almond flour is usually finely ground almonds that don't contain the brown skin while almond meal is usually more coarse and contains the skin.
- Adding fruit: These pancakes love fruit! I almost always add some kind of fruit to the batter or piled on top. Mashed banana, chopped strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are all good options. You can also serve fruit on top.
- Pass the syrup: Although I love pure maple syrup, I usually top my pancakes with something healthier. My favorite pancake toppings are nut butter, Greek yogurt, fruit, low sugar jam, and a touch of honey or pure maple syrup.
Are these almond flour pancakes keto? Low carb?
These almond pancakes with flax have just 7 grams of carbohydrates, 19 grams of fat, and 10 grams of protein. This makes them ideal for the keto and low carb diets. To stay low carb top them with low carb fruit, full fat yogurt, or nut butter. You can also add Stevia or a sugar substitute to the batter for some added sweetness.
How do I make vegan almond flour pancakes?
If you want to make a vegan almond flour pancake, you can replace the egg with a chia or flax egg. To save time I use this Bob's Red Mill egg replacer and it turns out great every time. You can also make your own vegan egg replacements by combining one tablespoon of chia or ground flax seeds with three tablespoons of water.
Can I make almond flour pancakes with banana? How about other fruit?
I love adding fruit to these almond pancakes with flax. If you aren't worried about carbohydrates, then consider adding a mashed banana to the recipe. It will add sweetness and moisture, plus it is delicious. If you are counting carbs, you can add pumpkin or a low carb berry. Usually, I add some blueberries or raspberries.
Products and tools I used for this recipe:
- There are so many different types of almond flour and almond meal on the market. I almost always buy this one which I find affordable and high quality.
- To add extra fiber, flaxseed is used in this recipe. Try to buy it in bulk to save money, this is a great option.
- Cooking pancakes can be hard without a griddle. When I am cooking for more than one person, I always use these easy griddle and when it is for one person, I love this non stick pan.
Almond Flour Pancakes with Flax
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 U eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.