Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts come out crispy and delicious every time for the perfect side dish. Jump to Recipe
These Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan go with everything! With their crispy exterior and melted cheese, they are hard to beat. We also love this Roasted Parmesan Cauliflower and Parmesan Broccoli.
Coming back to you with another amazing way to cook Brussels sprouts. In case you haven't noticed, they are up there as one of our favorite vegetables. The whole family gobbles down these deliciously crispy and cheesy sprouts.
This version takes things to a whole new level with plenty of garlic and Parmesan cheese. They are the ultimate crispy Brussel sprouts. Here's why. As the Parmesan cheese cooks, it gets super crispy along with the Brussel sprouts itself. This creates a kind of double layer of crispiness from the caramelized sprout and crispy cheese. It's so good. My whole family was eating these right off the baking sheet.
The other thing I love about this recipe, it's super healthy. Brussel Sprouts are packed with vitamins and nutrients. With just 38 calories per cup, Brussels sprouts contain Vitamins A, C, and K, along with folate and manganese. They are also a great plant-based source of Omega 3 fatty acids. That makes this dish a perfect dinner side dish since it is healthy and tastes amazing.
How to Roast Brussels Sprouts
It's really easy to roast Brussels sprouts and only takes about 20 minutes. Here is what to do.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Clean the Brussels sprouts and make sure they are dry. Cut them in half.
- Toss the sprouts with oil and toss with salt, pepper, and any spices you like.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet in a single layer, leaving some space in between.
- Roast for 17-20 minutes, shaking the pan after about 12 minutes.
How to Trim Brussels Sprouts
Start by washing the Brussels sprouts well to remove any dirt and debris. Then make sure they are really dry. Wet Brussels sprouts will steam in the oven. Once they are dry, remove any old or broken leaves. Then gently trim the end off and cut the Brussel sprout in half or in quarters. Try and keep them around the same size, so that they roast in the same amount of time. This could mean cutting the larger Brussels sprouts in quarters.
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Crispy Every Time
There are a few things to make sure that your Brussels sprouts actually get browned and crispy. The most important is that they have some space on the baking sheet. If they are crowded together or on top of each other, they will steam instead of roast. It's also really important to have a nice hot oven. Make sure the oven is preheated and cook them at 400 degrees or higher. You do have some flexibility here so you can match it to any other dishes cooking in the oven. Lastly, make sure to lightly coat the sprouts in oil. Too much oil doesn't result in crispier Brussels sprouts. It actually leads to soggy, oily Brussels sprouts.
Recipe Ideas for Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Add breadcrumbs: For even crispier sprouts, add some Panko breadcrumbs to the mix as well. They will stick to the outside of the sprouts and get super crispy. Almost like breaded Brussel sprouts. You only need to add about 1/4 cup for a pound of sprouts.
- Add bacon: Needless to say, adding bacon to this recipe is always a good idea. Grab a few slices of center cut bacon, chop it into small pieces, and toss it right on the baking sheet with the Brussels sprouts. Delish.
- Add onions: Thinly slice some sweet or red onions and toss them with the Brussels sprouts. Shallots work as well.
- Add heat: For some kick, add some red pepper flakes. It pairs really well with the garlic and Parmesan.
- Add lemon: Brighten things up by finishing the dish with some lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Ad mustard: If you love mustard, consider adding some Dijon mustard to the olive oil you are tossing the Brussels sprouts in. It adds a great tang and all that mustard goodness.
- Add balsamic vinegar: You can toss the Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar before roasting them or simply drizzle some on top before serving. Balsamic glaze is delicious as well.
Tips for Making Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan
- If you want crispy Brussels sprouts, it is super important that the pan isn't crowded. When the sprouts are on top of each other, they will steam instead of roast and you won't get that crispy, browned exterior.
- Try to cut the Brussel sprouts in a uniform size so that they will cook in the same amount of time. This might mean that you halve the smaller sprouts and quarter any larger ones.
- When it is time to shake the pan, the Brussels sprouts should easily release from the pan. If they do not, just give it a few more minutes. Once they have browned, they won't stick to the pan anymore. If they are sticking, they are ready to be flipped.
- For easier cleanup, you can cover the baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- If you have trouble getting crispy Brussels sprouts, consider preheating the baking sheet in the oven and place the Brussels sprouts cut side down.
What to Serve with Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
These will go with almost any main dish, but here are some of our favorites to serve with Brussel sprouts:
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken to double up on all the crispy Parmesan goodness.
- Shortcut Chicken Cordon Bleu is an easy 20-minute chicken dinner that works great with these sprouts.
- This Italian Salmon works great with Brussels sprouts and some polenta on the side.
- This Slow Cooker Balsamic Brown Sugar Pork is a favorite and kids love it. Works great with this recipe.
Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.