This easy Breakfast Egg Casserole is the perfect egg dish to make for a crowd. It's packed with fresh vegetables, bacon, and cheddar cheese making it a dish everyone loves.
This Healthy Egg Casserole is made with turkey bacon, cheese, and veggies for the ultimate breakfast dish. It’s light, fluffy, and packed with flavor—the perfect way to start your day!
It’s no secret that I am a big frittata fan. From this Western Omelet Frittata to Broccoli and Cheese Frittatas, I have a ton of different healthy frittata recipes to choose from on my website. I can’t get enough of them! As one of the most versatile foods in the world, eggs can be spiced up in a million different ways so the frittata options are endless.
This Breakfast Egg Casserole is basically one big frittata, perfect for splitting among family or friends. It’s made with turkey bacon, shredded cheese, and vegetables for the ultimate breakfast dish. This healthy breakfast recipe is easy to make, great for sharing, and stores incredibly well so you can enjoy a quick breakfast throughout the week.
When it comes to making an egg casserole, you can enrich the dish with any of your favorite meats, cheeses, vegetables, and herbs. This breakfast dish offers a lot of freedom for creativity, depending on your flavor preferences and what you have at home.
You can also top this breakfast dish with a variety of colorful toppings to really make it pop. Some of my favorite choices are fresh herbs like cilantro or chives, green onions, avocado slices, and hot sauce. Trust me when I say that you’re going to want to snap a photo of the final product.
If you’re looking for a new healthy breakfast recipe to add to your weekly rotation or to serve at your next brunch with friends, this easy egg casserole is a perfect choice. Loaded with protein, fiber, and beneficial nutrients, it’s a fantastic way to start any day!
To bring this healthy breakfast recipe to life, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Turkey bacon: Whenever I’m craving bacon but want to lighten up a dish, I love adding some turkey bacon. It’s lower in calories and fat, yet still super flavorful. Regular bacon also works great. Cooked crumbled breakfast sausage is another delicious option.
- Eggs: The star of the show! If you want to lighten the dish up even further, you can swap out a few of the eggs for egg whites.
- Milk: You can use any kind of milk you like. Almond, soy, and dairy milk all work well in this dish. For a richer dish, swap in cream or half and half.
- Shredded cheese: I like to use shredded cheddar cheese in this dish, as it complements the other flavors really well. However, feel free to use any type of shredded or crumbled cheese you like.
- Veggies: A combination of red onions, red bell peppers, and green bell peppers add a ton of flavor and a beautiful pop of color to this dish. Hash browns are another popular choice in an egg casserole. Just defrost them from frozen.
Breakfast Egg Casserole Recipe Ideas
Looking for ways to change up this recipe? Here are some of my favorite variations:
- Switch up the meat. Try swapping out the turkey bacon for another breakfast meat like diced ham, turkey sausage, or chicken sausage.
- Add some Southwestern flair. Try adding some black beans and corn to this dish for added flavor and protein.
- Spice it up. If you’re a lover of spicy food, there are several ways you could spice up this dish. Try adding finely diced jalapenos (like in these Huevos a la Mexicana) to the casserole or drizzling some hot sauce on top just before serving it.
- Swap out the cheese. While I typically use cheddar cheese in this dish, you can use any kind of cheese you like. Some other good options include mozzarella, cotija, monterey jack, and feta cheese.
- Use different vegetables. Feel free to use any kind of veggies you have at home. Some of my favorite choices include broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes, green onions, and spinach.
- Make it even heartier. To make this dish even more hearty and filling, feel free to add black beans, shredded hash brown potatoes, diced potatoes, or diced sweet potatoes.
- Add some fresh herbs. For a ton of added flavor, try adding fresh herbs to the dish either during the cooking process or just before serving it. Great options include cilantro, chives, parsley, and thyme.
How to Store Egg Casserole
This breakfast keeps incredibly well, so it’s the perfect breakfast meal prep recipe. You could easily prep one on a lazy Sunday afternoon and enjoy it over the next several days for a stress-free breakfast. After taking the casserole out of the oven, make sure to let it cool completely before transferring it from the dish.
Once the dish has cooled, you can cut the casserole into slices and place them in an airtight storage bag or container. If you choose to freeze the dish, I recommend storing each slice in a separate bag. Please also keep in mind that the texture of the egg casserole may change in the freezer and become slightly rubbery when thawed.
You can store leftover egg casserole in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- In the freezer for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy breakfast recipe:
What kind of veggies can I add to egg casserole?
You can add a variety of different veggies to an egg casserole. Some of my top choices include bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, onions, and zucchini.
What should I serve with egg casserole?
This hearty breakfast dish is definitely satisfying enough on its own, but if you’re hosting a group you may want to add some sides. Delicious healthy breakfast sides include hash brown potatoes, toast, and fresh fruit.
Can I prep this dish in advance?
Absolutely. You can prepare this egg casserole in a baking dish and wrap it in aluminum foil until you’re ready to make it. When properly stored, you can keep the unbaked egg casserole in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking it.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Like this recipe? You’ll love these:
Breakfast Egg Casserole
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.