These homemade Cinnamon Rolls are as easy to make as they are delicious, and they come together in just 30 minutes! This seemingly magical two-ingredient dough is the perfect way to make everyone’s favorite breakfast treat without slaving over the dough all day long.
There’s nothing quite as satisfying as freshly baked cinnamon rolls, straight out of the oven. The smell alone is enough to bring my whole family running to the kitchen, but that soft and flaky interior… Heaven. Absolute heaven.
Gone are the days of store-bought cinnamon rolls that are loaded with so many artificial colors and flavors. Also gone are the days of endless kneading and waiting around for homemade dough to rise. Thanks to this two-ingredient dough cinnamon roll recipe, you won’t have to bother with either, ever again. How does that sound?
Two-ingredient dough is an almost magical cooking hack that combines Greek yogurt and self-rising flour into a base that can be used for a ton of your favorite dough-based recipes. So, instead of spending an hour kneading dough, you can bake delicious and lighter cinnamon rolls in no time at all.
All of the ingredients for these mouth-watering cinnamon rolls are things that you probably already have in your pantry, so no need to go running out to the store. These homemade cinnamon rolls are easy, healthy, and beyond delicious. Serve up this guilt-free indulgence as the ultimate breakfast, after-dinner snack, or dessert.
To make these delicious, healthy cinnamon rolls, you’ll only need a few key ingredients:
- Two-ingredient dough: Made from a combination of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour, this super simple dough serves as a low-carb base for these cinnamon rolls.
- Low-fat cream cheese: Cream cheese serves as one of the main components of the glaze used for these rolls. I like to use the low-fat kind to keep this recipe on the lighter side, but feel free to use whichever kind you have at home.
- Swerve confectioners sugar: Swerve confectioners sugar is a great zero-calorie natural sugar substitute. It tastes, bakes, and measures like real sugar, but of course you could always substitute for the real thing if you want.
- Plain yogurt: Yogurt is another essential component of our homemade cinnamon roll glaze. Mixed with all the fixings, it creates a delicious, creamy glaze for about half the calories as your traditional glaze.
What is Two-Ingredient Dough?
Two-ingredient dough is your new best friend in the kitchen. Made from a super simple combination of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour, it takes all the hard work out of homemade dough. Not only is it super easy, but two-ingredient dough is the perfect low-carb substitute for many of your favorite baking dishes.
You can make two-ingredient dough either by hand or in a mixer or food processor. All you have to do is mix the self-rising flour and Greek yogurt until a dough forms. Then, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth, which should only take a few minutes. If the dough seems dry to you, just add a few tablespoons of water.
Self-rising flour is made from all-purpose flour that’s been pre-mixed with salt and baking powder. To make your own at home, combine 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour with 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 3/4 teaspoons of salt.
Here are some more tasty recipes you can make with it!
- Homemade Naan
- Easy Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Two Ingredient English Muffins
- Garlic Knots
- Two Ingredient Dough Bagels
- Two Ingredient Pizza Dough
Easy Cinnamon Roll Recipe Tips
Here are some of my favorite tips to help you make these homemade cinnamon rolls:
- For sweeter bread, you could add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar or Swerve sweetener to the dough. Personally, I find that the brown sugar and frosting make the rolls perfectly sweet, but everyone’s taste buds are different!
- When frosting the rolls, only frost the portions you’re going to eat immediately. Otherwise, it will be more difficult to store the cinnamon rolls.
- For the dairy-free dough, you can try swapping out the Greek yogurt for a dairy-free yogurt alternative. However, note that it may change the texture of the dough. Make sure to choose a thicker yogurt, like coconut yogurt.
How to Store This Dish
Leftover cinnamon rolls are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack to enjoy throughout the week. To store, let the cinnamon rolls cool to room temperature and seal them in an airtight storage bag or container. Then, store in one of a few ways:
- At room temperature for up to 2 days.
- In the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
- In the freezer for up to 2 months.
Pro Tip: For best results, store your homemade frosting in a separate container from the cinnamon rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
Absolutely. Freezing your dough is a great option if you’re not ready to make your cinnamon rolls just yet or want to make extra dough for more recipes. To freeze, roll out the dough and seal in a freezer bag. When you’re ready, thaw it out in the fridge overnight or on the counter for an hour.
Yep. You can store leftover cinnamon rolls at room temperature for 2 to 3 days, given that they are properly sealed. Make sure to place them in an airtight storage container or Ziploc bag and store them without the glaze. For longer storage times, you can refrigerate them for up to a week or freeze them for up to 2 months.
Consider two-ingredient dough to be the slightly lower carb, higher protein cousin of traditional dough. Thanks to the Greek yogurt, this dough is packed with protein, which works to keep you feeling full for longer. Also, since the dough is made with just two ingredients, this dish is totally free of the preservatives and additives found in store-bought goods.
Easy Cinnamon Rolls (with Two Ingredient Dough!)
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.25 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 oz low fat cream cheese (glaze)
- 1 tbsp nonfat plain yogurt (glaze)
- 1 tsp vanilla (glaze)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Make the two ingredient dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and yogurt, stirring until they are well combined, using a fork, if necessary. If the mixture is too sticky, add a Tablespoon of additional flour and continue to mix. Repeat as necessary until the mixture becomes a workable ball of dough. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface, until the dough is smooth.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
If you want a sweeter bread, you can add 2-3 Tablespoons of sugar, or swerve to the dough as you are making the dough. I think the brown sugar and the frosting make the roll sweet enough, without adding more sugars.
Only frost the portions you are eating immediately, so you can easily reheat the rolls later.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.