For awhile now I have had my eye on a delicious Lemon Chicken Artichoke soup from Whole Foods, but at around $5 per serving, it’s not the most economical choice. So after purchasing it a few times for official taste testing, I was finally able to develop an at home version I like just as much that’s made in the slow cooker. The secret in this recipe in my opinion, is letting the rice cook with everything else until it gets nice and thick and adds the creamy element to the soup. (Note: If you don’t like rice with that texture, make it separately and add it to the soup at the end.) Then adding lots of lemon juice to brighten everything up. It freezes great so make up a big batch and save some for later.
Sunday Slow Cooker: Lemon Chicken Artichoke Soup
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 14 oz. canned artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained (frozen works as well)
- 1 U onion, diced
- 2 U carrots, diced
- 2 U celery ribs, diced
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 U bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice (not quick cooking)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Add everything to the slow cooker except the lemon juice and parsley. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and chop or shred and then add back to slow cooker.
Before serving, season with salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.