Vinho Verde White Sangria is your new favorite summer drink with less than 150 calories per serving! Bright, refreshing, and packed with fruit. Jump to Recipe
This Vinho Verde White Sangria is the perfect refreshing summer drink. It's made with bright and bubbly vinho verde, lots of fresh fruit, and a hint of orange liquor. Believe me, this drink will become a summer staple.
I don't know about you, but I couldn't be more excited about the warm weather rolling in. I am already dreaming of al fresco happy hours on our patio, weekend barbecues, and lots of beach time and sunsets. The plan is to soak up every minute of sunshine and this is the perfect summer drink to do just that.
Not only is it easy to make, but it's also low calorie. More on that soon. Packed with green apples, grapes, citrus, and fresh herbs, this drink looks beautiful for entertaining but is light enough, that you can enjoy it all summer long.
Why Vinho Verde
Let's start by talking about the base of this recipe. It all starts with my new favorite summer wine, this Gazela Vinho Verde from Portugal. There are so many reasons to love this wine.
First the flavor. If you haven't had Vinho Verde before, it's a slightly effervescent white wine from Portugal. It's super refreshing, crisp, and this one from Gazela Vineyards has notes of citrus, green apple, and lemongrass. This stuff is made with summer picnics, barbecues, and nights outside in mind. Even though I am using it in sangria today, this is a great wine for any occasion.
Secondly, this Gazela Vinho Verde is lower calorie than most other wines and it's for larger serving. Win-win. With just 118 calories for a 6 ounce serving, this is one of the lowest calorie options around. Wondering why? It's due to a slightly lower alcohol concentration, which results in less calories and less sugar.
The last thing I love about this wine - it is so affordable. At just $6-$8 a bottle at most retailers, it's a wine that works for all budgets. But one that no one will ever suspect it costs less than ten dollars. In fact, since Vinho Verde is a new wine for many, it's actually a great way to introduce your guests to a new favorite and serve something unexpected.
How to Make White Sangria
There are lots of different recipes out there for white sangria but since this one uses Vinho Verde as a base, we want to build off those flavors. This Gazela Vinho Verde has flavors of citrus and green apple, so we will build off those two flavors and then add some punch with fresh herbs and extra fruit.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 bottle Gazela Vinho Verde
- 1/2 cup orange flavored liquor like Cointreau (Gran Marnier or triple sec OR apple brandy)
- 1 cup green grapes, half
- 1/2 green apple, sliced thin
- 1/2 orange, sliced thin
- 1/2 lime, sliced thin
- 1/4 lemon, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs - mint, basil, or cilantro (you can also add some fresh lemongrass if you have it)
- 2 cups lemon or lime seltzer (optional)
Start by adding all of the fruit to the bottom of a large pitcher. Add the orange flavored liquor and let sit for 30-60 minutes in the fridge. This helps the flavors of the fruit release into the alcohol. Right before serving, add the vinho verde and fresh herbs. Give it a good stir. If desired, add the seltzer directly into the pitcher or serve on the side.
One note, I do not add any extra sweetener to this sangria and find the fruit adds plenty of natural sweetness. However, I prefer a less sweet sangria. If you like a sweeter version, add about 1/4 cup of agave or simple syrup along with the fruit and orange liquor.
One more note, this sangria can be made with or without the orange flavored liquor. If you leave it out, it will be more like a spritzer but equally delicious. This also makes it really low calorie and low sugar if you are looking for a lighter option. If you use the seltzer and leave out the liquor, it's under 100 calorie a serving and only 2-3 points
- Swap in regular or diet ginger beer for the seltzer water to add another flavor component and build complexity. It pairs really nicely with the citrus and lemongrass. You can also change up the flavor of the seltzer to slightly change the flavor.
- If you want a sweeter sangria without adding sugar or extra calories, consider using a diet lemon lime soda in place of the seltzer.
- Up your fruit game and add some color with some cubed cantaloupe or raspberries.
- Although I highly recommend making this with Vinho Verde, it also works with other sparkling white wines, sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigio.
- This sangria can be made without the liquor if you don't have any on hand, it just adds a really nice flavor to the sangria and takes it beyond a simple spritzer recipe.
Where to Purchase Vinho Verde
You can find Vinho Verde at most grocery stores and wine stores, normally with the Spanish, Portuguese, or alternative white wines. It is also sometimes found with the sparkling wines.
However, if you are a regular wine drinker, you may want to consider purchasing from Wine.com (affiliate link). Right now they have a Stewardship Membership that is just $49 annually and includes free for a year with no minimum purchase. It's like Amazon Prime, but for wine. Perfect if you are trying to avoid the store.
This post isn't sponsored. I just really love the wine and since its a new product to many, I wanted to also share a brand recommendation. The post does contain affiliate links.
Vinho Verde White Sangria
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 U bottle Vinho Verde
- 1/2 cup orange flavored liquor (like Cointreau, Gran Marnier, or triple sec OR apple brandy)
- 1 cup green grapes, half
- 1/2 U green apple, sliced thin
- 1/2 U orange, sliced thin
- 1/2 U lime, sliced thin
- 1/4 U lemon, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (mint, basil, or cilantro)
- 2 cups seltzer (optional, lemon or lime flavored)
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.