The perfect homemade Mediterranean-inspired Bistro Box with fresh vegetables, hummus, olives, and hummus. Great for meal prep snacks and lunches.
This flavor-packed Mediterranean Bistro Box is easy to make, wholesome, and incredibly satisfying, making it ideal for those days when you’re on the go. Bring it along to work, school, or even to the beach for the perfect healthy snack.
The premade bistro boxes you can find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store tend to cost a lot more than they’re worth, simply for the convenience factor. If you bought each of the ingredients in those boxes separately and made your own bistro boxes to enjoy throughout the week, it would be far more cost-efficient.
It’s also more fun and rewarding to make your own, not to mention you can customize the boxes to suit your likes and dislikes.
Not only are these premade boxes delicious, but they’re healthy and fulfilling as well. With fresh chopped veggies, salty olives, cheesy mozzarella balls, and hummus for dipping, this flavorful bistro box covers all your bases for the ultimate snack, lunch, or on the go meal. You’ll also want to try this Copycat Starbucks Protein Box.
Pack this bistro box for your next hike, study session, busy workday, or laid-back beach day. You can even lay out the ingredients on a serving tray and serve it as an appetizer at your next brunch or dinner party. If you’re a fan of the flavors of the Mediterranean, I guarantee you’ll love this snack box.
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
This bistro box is super easy to throw together and requires just 6 ingredients. The key ingredients you will need to make this delicious snack include:
- Red peppers: Of all the bell peppers, red ones are the sweetest and pack in the most nutrients. You can slice these however you want, but I prefer them in thin sticks. Any bell peppers, including mini bell peppers, work. Or swap in another crunchy vegetable.
- Cucumbers: These are incredibly low in calories and high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They also pair wonderfully with tzatziki, which uses shredded cucumber as a key component! Any type of cucumber works, but Persian and English cucumbers keep the best when making ahead.
- Carrots: These crunchy veggies are loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They’re one of my absolute favorite veggies for dipping in tzatziki. Baby carrots are the easiest, but any crunchy veggies work.
- Olives: These are loaded with heart-healthy fats and powerful antioxidants. They’re also delicious staples in the Mediterranean diet, making them the perfect additions to our bistro box.
- Mozzarella balls: Mozzarella is lower in calories and sodium than most other cheeses, while also packing in a ton of protein. It’s the perfect cheesy addition to our box! Swap in any cheese you like.
- Hummus or Tzatziki: Any popular Mediterranean dipping sauce will work. Consider using tzatziki which is made from a base of Greek yogurt, fresh dill, and cucumber. Store-bought or homemade tzatziki works. Or swap in hummus (any flavor) or another dip like avocado ranch or honey mustard.
Bistro Box Customizations
There are plenty of ways that you can modify this bistro box to suit your specific needs. Here are some of my favorite foods to add to my boxes when I want to switch it up:
- Hard boiled eggs. These are incredibly nutrient-rich and loaded with protein to help keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal.
- Deli-style salads: Add more protein with some homemade chicken salad, tuna salad, or egg salad.
- Almonds. These are an excellent source of healthy fats, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Roasted chickpeas. These are known to be packed with protein and fiber, making for great additions to a filling snack box.
- Edamame. Fiber-rich foods like edamame are great for keeping you full. They’re also rich in antioxidants and vitamins, making them incredibly healthy.
- Beef jerky. This is super high in protein, so adding a few pieces to your bistro box is a fantastic idea. Not to mention, they taste delicious!
- Guacamole. This makes an awesome dip for veggies and is loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins.
- Hummus. This has all the wonderful health benefits of chickpeas, presented in the form of a delicious creamy dip for veggies.
- Berries. These add a tremendous amount of beneficial vitamins and minerals, as well as a tasty touch of sweetness to an otherwise savory bistro box. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries all work great.
- Cottage cheese. This is super high in protein, incredibly filling, and really tasty. It can be subbed in for the mozzarella balls, if you’re looking to change up your cheese.
- Crumbled feta. This tangy cheese is a staple in Mediterranean cuisine and is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
Also known as a protein box, bistro boxes are boxes filled with healthy, high-protein snacks to keep you feeling fueled and satisfied between meals. They typically contain foods like fruits, vegetables, eggs, cheeses, and dips or spreads.
Bistros are defined as quick and affordable places to go eat. It typically refers to a restaurant that serves food quickly, which is why these on-the-go protein boxes took on the same name. By preparing a variety of snacks in a bistro box, you’re guaranteed a quick bite whenever you want it!
While I like to use mozzarella balls in this bistro box recipe, you can use any type of cheese you like. Healthy and delicious substitutes include cottage cheese, cheddar cheese cubes, feta cheese, string cheese, and Babybel cheese wheels.
You can use any fresh, raw vegetables you like in your snack box, so feel free to get creative! Great options include broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and cauliflower.
Absolutely! Fruit like berries, pineapple chunks, apple slices, and grapes would all make delicious and healthy additions to your bistro box.
If you have Tupperware containers that are divided into compartments, these are the best way to store your bistro boxes. Once you’ve divided your snacks into the boxes, you can store them in the fridge. They will keep for up to 3-4 days.
Mediterranean Bistro Box
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.