These crispy Green Bean Fries are baked in the oven with crispy breadcrumbs and spices to make a homemade green bean fry that tastes just as good as the deep fried restaurant version.
This green bean fries recipe has a fantastic kick to it! Replace your classic French fries with this lighter version and make dinner much healthier. It'll still be just as delicious! Love vegetable fries? Don't miss these Crispy Turnip Fries and Parsnip Fries.
Vegetables usually only make one appearance at game day parties... As cold and uninviting crudités fight for attention next to sliders, chili, wings, and more. So, why not make vegetables a star this year by whipping up these simple, crunchy green bean fries?
All you need to do is serve them with your favorite dipping sauce and you'll have a stellar appetizer! I usually make a grab for this skinny ranch and watch as a green vegetable steals the show at the next game day party.
Key Ingredients For Green Bean Fries
I used only simple ingredients that are easy to find in your grocery store. This is a very basic recipe, but the flavor is so incredible that you'll have people asking for it again!
Here is some more information about the ingredients I used:
- Green Beans: Use fresh green beans that have been washed and trimmed. Frozen or canned will not work as green bean fries.
- Bread Crumbs: Since I used my own spices, I used plain breadcrumbs. If you want to save yourself a step, you can use seasoned breadcrumbs. I usually got for Italian or cajun seasoned coating. For a crispier fry texture, use Panko breadcrumbs!
- Salt and Pepper: Skip the salt and pepper if you use flavored or spiced bread crumbs.
- Onion Powder: Use onion powder instead of raw onions. It mixes in with the breadcrumbs and covers the fries evenly.
- Garlic Powder: Use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. Fresh garlic will be too strong and won't mix in as evenly as the powder.
- Egg Whites: A vegan substitute for egg whites is aquafaba - the leftover liquid from a can of garbanzo beans that you whip. The flavor of beans cooks out so you just have the chemical properties that act just like the egg whites!
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make these spicy green bean fries, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With Green Bean Fries
Whenever I think of fries, I instantly think of burgers - what about you? These skinny fries taste perfect with an equally healthy burger - like my portobello mushroom burger. It has a lot of the same garlic and onion flavors as the green bean fries. They taste amazing together!
These kinds of finger foods are perfect for parties!
Recipe Tips and Ideas For Spicy Green Bean Fries
Follow these tips to make sure that the green bean fries come out crispy every single time!
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. The green beans tend to stick to the baking sheet - parchment paper will make cleaning up so much faster.
- Stir the spices together with the breadcrumbs first. This makes sure that the green beans are evenly coated with them.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are frothy. I found that it is easiest to whisk egg whites with an electric mixer. You can do it by hand, but it takes so much longer.
- Bake the green bean fries in a single layer on the baking sheet. This will help them all to bake evenly!
- Shake the baking sheet once, halfway through the baking time. This way all sides are baked at the same rate.
Frequently Asked Questions About Green Bean< Fries
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
How do you store leftover green bean fries?
Honestly, these taste so much better fresh than they do warmed-up. If you have leftovers, store them in a resealable airtight bag and keep them in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3 days, but their crispy texture won't stay the same.
If you want to make them crispy again, just broil them for a few minutes.
How do you make gluten-free green bean fries?
If you want to make gluten-free green bean fries, use crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs. It still gives the green beans the same crispy texture without the gluten (or carbs)!
You can also add some shredded parmesan cheese to the breading for a little extra crunch (and protein).
How do you make them even spicier?
If you want to make them taste even spicier, add some cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes to the breading. You could also just use some Sriracha as a dipping sauce.
What are some healthy dips for them?
I have lots of healthy condiment recipes that you can choose from!
How do you make green bean fries in the air fryer?
The process is the same in the air fryer as in the oven.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Bread the green bean fries.
- Bake them in the air fryer for 20 minutes, shaking them halfway through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
More Delicious Green Bean Recipes You'll Love:
Spicy Green Bean Fries
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.