Ranch Chickpea Burgers made with just a few ingredients are the ultimate vegetarian burger. They are easy to make, packed with flavor, and so much better than store-bought. Jump to Recipe
Looking for a delicious and healthy homemade veggie burger? Look no further and make this deceptively simple chickpea ranch burger made with ranch seasoning.
Vegetarian burgers are one of my favorite options for plant-based meals and these easy chickpea burgers are one of our favorites. With just 5 ingredients, they come together in minutes and are packed with ranch flavor. Not to mention they are extremely affordable since all you need is canned beans, breadcrumbs, eggs, and ranch seasoning.
How to make chickpea burgers?
Chickpea burgers are actually really easy to make at home without any fancy equipment or special ingredients. Not only are they affordable, but they also take much better than store-bought options. Here's how to make them:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas: This step is very important to get the canned flavor off of the chickpeas. Rinse them under cold water and drain them well. Then take one extra step to lightly dry them with a paper towel or kitchen towel
- Mash chickpeas with a fork: Use the back of a fork to mash the chickpeas. The resulting texture should be thick enough that it holds together but should still have some texture. This is why I prefer a fork over a food processor since it preserves the texture in the burgers.
- Add breadcrumbs, eggs, and seasoning: To behind the burgers, the key ingredients are breadcrumbs and eggs. This transforms the chickpeas into a burger. Also add seasoning here like spices, seasoning blends, or herbs. For vegan burgers, a flaxseed egg or chia egg will work as well.
- Form into burgers: Divide the chickpea mixture into burgers and form it into patties with your hand. If the burgers aren't staying together well, there are two options. Either add an extra egg or toss them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook the chickpea burgers: Add some oil to a skillet and cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes per side until nicely browned. Serve with all your favorite toppings.
These burgers can be customized in so many different ways. Here are some favorite options:
- Buffalo ranch: Either add some dry buffalo seasoning to the burger mixture or drizzle buffalo sauce on top of the burgers to serve. You can add buffalo sauce to the chickpea mixture, but only add 1-2 tablespoons or it will make the mixture too wet.
- Fresh Herbs: Kick up freshness in the burgers with some freshly chopped parsley, basil, cilantro, or dill.
- Lemon zest: Another option to add extra flavor to the burgers is with some fresh lemon zest. It adds a zippy flavor to the burgers that is delicious.
- Add cheese: If you can't get enough cheese, add some shredded cheese or crumbled cheese (like feta or goat cheese) to the mix. It can also be melted on top after its cooked.
What to serve with Ranch Chickpea Burgers?
There are so many delicious side dishes to consider for burger night.
- Make some healthy fries using turnips, parsnips, or carrots. For chip lovers, consider these healthy baked potato chips.
- Serve the burger with a classic green salad topped with healthy ranch, a kale caesar salad, or some tasty slaw.
- Roasted vegetables always make a good side dish with burgers. Think about veggies like asparagus, green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- If you are thinking about how to serve the burger, consider all the classic toppings -lettuce, tomato, onion, or sprouts. Then add classic like ketchup or get creative with yogurt dips, dressings, or hot sauce.
How to make this vegan?
Making this burger vegan is actually quite simple. Just swap in a chia egg or flaxseed egg for the eggs in the recipes. You could also use vegetarian egg products. On least option is adding vegan mayonnaise instead of eggs. This adds moisture and will bind the burger.
Frequently Asked Questions - Chickpea Burgers
What's the best binder for chickpea burgers?
For vegetarians, eggs are one of the best ways to bind any kind of chickpea burgers. For vegans, swap in a vegan egg substitute using flaxseed eggs, chia eggs, or store-bought egg replacer. In some burgers, vegan mayonnaise can also be used as a binder.
Dry binders for chickpea burgers include breadcrumbs, oat flour, oats, or wheat germ. Since chickpeas are bind together more naturally than meat based products, normally the burgers don't need quite as much binder as a traditional burger.
Can I freeze chickpea burgers?
These burgers freeze great after being cooked. Let them cool completely and then place them in a freezer friendly bag or container with parchment between each burger. Reheat in a skillet, much like you would with a store-bought vegetarian burgers.
In the fridge, these burgers will last 3-4 days. Let them cool before storing them in the fridge.
What's the best way to reheat bean burgers?
For the best results, reheat the burgers in a skillet. This keeps the outside crispy. They can also be reheated in the microwave but they will lose some of their crispy texture.
Can these burgers be made in the food processor?
The chickpea mixture for these burgers can be made in the food processor but the texture will be much softer. Mashing the chickpeas by hands creates a more appealing texture since there are larger chunks of beans.
Can I swap in other beans?
Sure! Try this recipe with white beans, black beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans, or any other beans you like. Canned beans or homemade beans will work. Just drain them well before using.
Ranch Chickpea Burgers
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 14 oz. canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 U egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 oz. packet dry ranch seasoning mix
- 3 U green onions, diced
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.