Zucchini bread overnight oats packed with all the flavors of the classic bread with cinnamon, shredded zucchini, banana, and vanilla.
These overnight oats packed with shredded zucchini will remind of you freshly baked zucchini bread but in a make-ahead, healthy breakfast option. Not only will they keep you full all morning long, they are also a great way to sneak in extra veggies in the morning.
I have been on an oatmeal kick lately since it finally started to cool down and I couldn't be happier to embrace cooler weather, even if it only lasts for a few days. With cooler weather, I find myself reaching for oatmeal in the morning and am always on the lookout for new recipes to keep things fresh.
Inspired by one of my breakfast favorites, zucchini bread, this simple and healthy zucchini oatmeal is a great way to sneak in some veggies with breakfast. The basic recipe pulls in the traditional flavors of zucchini bread - cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and lots of shredded zucchini. From there, I highly encourage playing around with your favorite toppings - pecans, almond butter, shredded coconut, raisins, or even some chocolate chips.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
Like any good overnight oatmeal recipe, there are tons of ways to customize this recipe and make it your own.
- It's hard to not think about chocolate chips when you think about banana bread, so no one would blame you for adding some chocolate chips right into the oats or on top.
- If you want to double up your veggies, add some thinly shredded carrots as well. This will give you a zucchini bread/carrot cake mash-up.
- Traditionally zucchini bread has nutmeg, so you may want to add a pinch as well to the mix.
- Before serving, add some chopped walnuts or pecans to the oats. This will add texture, protein, and healthy fats. Don't add the nuts beforehand or they will lose their crunch.
- Another option for adding texture is adding some shredded coconut.
- For those wanting a lighter option, leave out the almond butter. You can also swap in peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower butter.
- If you don't want to use bananas, you can leave them out. However, you will likely need to add some sweetness with the addition of maple syrup or honey. You could also use some flavored yogurt to add sweetness and flavor.
- Add some blueberries or raspberries on top right before serving for some extra fruit and vitamins.
How to eat overnight oatmeal?
There are always lots of questions about how to eat overnight oats, and it's actually totally up to you! You can eat them cold, right out of the fridge. This is my preferred method during hot summer months or after a workout. They are also delicious room temperature. Throw them in your bag on the way to work (or pack them for school) and then when it's time to eat, they will be room temperature.
If you prefer warm oatmeal, pop them in the microwave to warm them up. Add a splash of milk if needed to loosen things up.
Base Overnight Oats Recipe
If you are wondering how to make your own overnight oatmeal recipes, here's what you need to start. Then you can add all your favorite fruits, nuts, seeds, nut butters, spices, and more.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Sweetener to taste
Storage and Serving Ideas
Make sure to store your zucchini bread overnight oats in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last 4-5 days in the fridge. They can be packed in individual containers or in a large container and you can just scoop out servings.
Can these be made on the stove?
If you prefer a more traditional oatmeal recipe, then you can simply add all the ingredients into a small pot on the stove. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a low simmer. Stir and cook for 5-7 minutes until the oats have softened. This can also be done in the microwave, but make sure to use a deep bowl so it doesn't bubble over. It will take 3-4 minutes in the microwave.
For multiple servings, the stovetop version is a great option since it is quick, easy, and a fast breakfast to serve a family.
More Overnight Oatmeal Recipes
Zucchini Bread Overnight Oatmeal
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.