Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is satisfying, flavorful, and perfect for loading into tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. With just 5 minutes of prep time, this is the ultimate healthy recipe for taco nights, weeknight dinners, and dinner parties alike.
As an avid lover of tacos, I am always on the lookout for fun new ways to spice up taco nights with the family. My husband is a big-time meat lover, so this usually involves experimenting with new types of meaty fillings.
Therefore, you can trust that I know what I’m talking about when I say this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef recipe is a major win. Wholesome, flavorful, and fall-apart tender, this dish is a triple threat. It’s perfect for making tacos, topping off burrito bowls, stuffing into quesadillas, and loading up enchiladas.
For a super easy and delicious meal, try serving this Mexican Shredded Beef with some brown rice and Quick Refried Beans for a Mexican-inspired dinner that is guaranteed to please. Child-approved and beyond delicious, this dish does not disappoint!
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To make slow cooker shredded beef, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Lean beef: I typically opt for extra-lean top round roast, but you can use any lean beef that is good for stewing. Just make sure to cut it into smaller chunks, as this will make shredding way easier later on. If you prefer a cut like tri-tip, try these Slow Cooker Tri Tip Tacos.
- Beef broth: As with any braised beef dish, the liquid is essential. I opt for beef broth for obvious reasons, but vegetable broth would work well too.
- Chipotle peppers: These smoky peppers add a ton of flavor and a bit of a kick. If you’re afraid of the dish being too spicy, feel free to cut the amount in half.
- Tomatoes with green chilies: Make sure not to drain your diced tomatoes, as the canning liquid will contribute to this dish’s flavorful marinade.
- Apple cider vinegar: A little of this goes a long way in enhancing all of the rich and savory flavors of the dish. Feel free to swap for white vinegar, if needed.
- Herbs and spices: To season the beef, you will need oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Here are my top tips and tricks for making the best slow cooker shredded beef:
- Spice it up. If you’re craving more of a kick, feel free to add a dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Alternatively, you could add 1-2 chili peppers. We also love this Beef Birria is you want something with lots of spicy, smoky flavor.
- Double the fun. Storing this slow cooker shredded beef is beyond easy, making this dish great for meal prepping and making ahead. I highly recommend doubling up (if your slow cooker has the room) and storing the leftovers to enjoy throughout the week for easy lunches and dinners.
- Swap out the meat. Not in the mood for beef? Try swapping out the beef with pork or chicken instead.
- Add garnishes. My garnishes of choice typically include a squeeze of lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro. However, feel free to switch it up with sliced avocado, Pico de Gallo, or a fruity salsa like this delicious Pineapple Salsa.
How to Serve Mexican Shredded Beef
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is ultra-versatile, so it’s the perfect way to finish off any Mexican-inspired meal. If you aren’t quite sure where to begin, here are some of my favorite ways to serve shredded beef:
- Tacos. Mexican shredded beef is juicy, savory, and fall-apart tender, making it a mouth-watering filling for tacos.
- Burritos. Stuff a tortilla with this slow cooker beef, brown rice, your beans of choice, and your favorite veggies for a satisfying and flavorful lunch or dinner.
- Bowls. Every good grain bowl needs a hearty dose of protein. Load up a bowl of rice or quinoa with this dish and all your favorite toppings. It's great on these Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowls.
- Salads. Similarly, this beef recipe is a great protein to throw on top of any of your favorite Mexican-style salads. Personally, I recommend this Mexican Quinoa, Black Bean, and Corn Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing.
- Nachos. Loaded nachos, anyone? Try topping your nachos with your slow cooker beef, shredded cheese, sour cream, and black beans for the dreamiest nachos you’ve ever had.
- Quesadillas. Looking to amp up your favorite quesadilla recipes? Mexican shredded beef is the ideal dish for doing just that.
How to Store Leftover Shredded Beef
This shredded beef dish was practically born to be a meal prep recipe. I almost always double up on the batch and store my leftovers to use for quick meals throughout the week. From salads to burrito bowls, it’s the ultimate secret weapon for upgrading the average desk lunch!
To store your leftovers, allow the dish to cool before transferring it to an airtight bag or container. Then, you can store it in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- In the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this Mexican shredded beef recipe:
You can make slow cooker beef with any cut of lean beef that is good for stewing. Personally, I like to use extra lean top round roast, but chuck roast and brisket both work well too.
Because this dish is so wildly versatile, you can really pair it with just about anything. Some of my top choices include salads, burrito bowls, nachos, and tacos. That being said, feel free to get creative and serve it any way you like!
To reheat this dish, you can either reheat it on the stove until warmed through or pop it into the oven at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 3 lbs. lean top round roast, cut into large chunks (or beef chuck)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 14 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped (plus more adobo sauce if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.