These easy Jalapeno Popper Burgers take two of your favorite things, jalapeno poppers and burgers, and combine them into one mouth-watering, delicious burger. These simple burgers use just six ingredients and will be the hit at any barbecue.
What could be better than a Jalapeno Popper Burger? These burgers are always a hit and are surprisingly simple to make without any roasting or stuffing. Plus with just 250 calories, they are on the healthier side when it comes to burgers. Make them with beef, turkey, or bison and serve them with some baked skinny fries and grilled vegetables.
These jalapeno popper burgers! If you want to be the king/queen of the neighborhood, make these at your next cookout. People go crazy for them, especially when they learn that they are actually pretty guilt free. It takes all the best things about a burger and all the delicious things about a jalapeno popper and combines them in one, easy recipe that you will make again and again.
So let's talk about this recipe for a minute. There are lots of recipes out there for jalapeno popper burgers, but most of them are actually pretty complex. Jalapenos need to be roasted, skins need to be removed, multiple patties need to be made, burgers need to be stuffed. It all takes lots of time. And while delicious, they are a labor of love. These burgers are just as tasty, but so much easier to make.
Everything is combined in the burger mixture itself and the flavors cook right into the burger. The cheddar cheese and cream cheese get nice and melty, the jalapenos add just the right amount of heat, and you spend time enjoying dinner instead of laboring away making burgers.
Tips and Tricks for Making Jalapeno Popper Burgers
- Protein: These burgers can be made with ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground bison. For those on Weight Watchers or looking for a healthier option, make these using 99% lean ground turkey or chicken. They'll have just 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints when made this way and have about 80 fewer calories. Also, the cream cheese and cheddar cheese add moisture, so you don't need to worry about a dry burger, which sometimes happens with very lean meat.
- Toppings: I can't share this recipe without spending a minute talking about toppings. We always offer cooked bacon as an option. If you have ever had a bacon wrapped jalapeno popper, you know why. Additionally, I offer the traditional side of lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions. For spreads, you can add some extra cream cheese, a spread of light ranch dressing, or avocado spread.
- Buns: If you are watching calories or points, consider serving it wrapped in lettuce or on a portabella mushroom bun. You can also opt for a reduced calorie hamburger bun or low carb wrap. These are also great as a salad or served on a bed of cauliflower or whole grain rice.
- Extra heat: If you like things spicy, you can slice some fresh jalapenos and push them into the burgers like I did in the photo. These jalapenos will roast right on the burger and add a great heat and flavor.
What to Serve with a Jalapeno Popper Burger
- Healthy fries: It's hard to have a burger and not have some fries. Instead of traditional french fries, consider making healthy fries using your favorite veggies. We make fries with carrots, green beans, zucchini, turnips, and celery root all the time.
- Salads: Salads are another great option. A big green salad is a light side for burgers and is perfect for hot summer weather. You can also make a skinny slaw, grilled caprese salad, or kale caesar salad.
- Grilled vegetables: We love grilling vegetables and this is what I make most often with burgers. Just throw whatever veggies you have at home on the grill and they will turn into something special. This garlic grilled broccoli is one my family loves.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Jalapeno Popper Burgers
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs 95% lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 U jalapeno, chopped finely (seeded for less heat)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese (cut into small cubes)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until just combined. Divide into patties and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cook burgers on the grill for 4-6 minutes each side or until cooked through to your liking. You can also cook in a skillet for 5-6 minutes on each side.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.