This Grilled Plum Salad with Goat Cheese is packed with peppery arugula. thinly sliced red onion, basil, sweet and smoky grilled plums, and an amazing homemade lemon vinaigrette.
Grilled plum salad with arugula and goat cheese is guaranteed to make even the most dreary of days a dream. The sizzle, the smell, the colors, they’ll all be there to brighten it up. Plus even though it may feel like a dish just reserved for summer, this will definitely be making an appearance on my holiday table this year. Love serving something unexpected.
This salad is incredibly easy to make and is one of those simple dishes that will make you look like an absolutely amazing cook. It’s unexpected and using the simple twist of adding grilled plums makes it something most people haven’t seen before.
The other great thing about this salad is that it can serve an amazing side dish or starts, but you can also add some grilled proteins or chickpeas to quickly turn it into the main course. I also love adding some whole grains like cooked quinoa or wild rice. Packing the dressing on the side, also makes this a great salad for meal prep.
There are so many different things you can do with a grilled plum salad and I know you will enjoy trying them all.
What’s in a Grilled Plum Salad?
Well, it all starts with those loved grilled plums of course! But after that, it will be more reminiscent of a traditional arugula salad than a fruit salad.
The plums sit on a bed of arugula, also known as rocket and eruca in other parts of the world, and with that base comes mint, basil, red onion, and crumbled goat cheese. You can top the salad with an incredibly easy to make dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, and red pepper flakes. It’s sweet, savory, and a touch spicy.
Worried about the spice? Just leave out the red pepper flakes or serve them on the side.
How to Grill Plum
If you’ve never grilled a plum before, then you are in for an amazing treat, as they're incredibly easy to grill, taking just a few minutes from start to finish.
Simply cut your plum in half and oil your preheated grill or grill pan, then set the plum on the grill cut side down and leave it for 3 to 4 minutes before you flip it over. Then leave it on that side for another 2 to 3 minutes to give the smoky grill flavor time to penetrate all the way through.
If you aim to amp up the flavor of your grilled plum before you add it to the salad, feel free to head over to my recipe for grilled plums to get some ideas on how to bring variety to your grilled plum salad!
Recipe Ideas and How to Make it Your Own
When it comes to making a salad, you can really do just about anything you want with it to bulk it up or give yourself some variety – the key is to always look for bright flavors like fresh herbs, radicchio, and different types of lettuces.
Balsamic vinaigrette, pesto, or a creamy green goddess salad dressing are a few fantastic options for dressing if you want to try something a little bit different that still feels wonderfully decadent, after all, who doesn’t love how avocado and goat cheese play together?
Ways to Serve Grilled Plum Salad
There are a few fantastic ways to serve grilled plum salad besides just putting it on a plate... though there’s nothing wrong with that.
- Mini Salads Atop Bruschetta: Pile mini salads on top of bruschetta and drizzle it lightly with olive oil or balsamic vinegar. Consider serving up two different salads. This fruit and vegetable salad with a combination of cucumbers, grapes, strawberries, bell pepper, and basil is also great served on toast.
- Add seafood: Turn your grilled plum salad into a special salad by adding some grilled salmon right on top.
- Stuffed Pita: Instead of putting your salad on a plate or in a bowl stuff it inside a pita and take it with you on the go.
- An Option Like Naan Other: Lightly grill some naan bread and top it with your salad. Make it out of this world by adding some homemade curry powder.
Can This Be Made in Advance?
While some salads can be made a day or two in advance, I really wouldn’t recommend it with the grilled plum salad, as this is a salad that is best enjoyed while the grilled plums are still warm – however, you can combine everything in the salad in advance, which means that when you do decide to have the whole salad, all you have to do is grill the plums and open a couple of containers!
Other Grilled Salad Ideas
Grilled Plum Salad with Goat Cheese
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 4 plums (ripe but firm, pits removed and cut into 6 segments each)
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil (dressing)
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (dressing)
- 2 tsp honey (dressing)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (dressing)
- 1/16 tsp. red pepper flakes (dressing)
- Salt and pepper to taste
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.