Low Carb Oatmeal with Flax and Chia is a low carb alternative for when you are missing oatmeal. Made with a combination of chia seeds and flax seeds, you can make a low carb "oatmeal" that is hearty and filling. Jump to Recipe
Looking for a low carb alternative to overnight oats? Try this simple and delicious Low Carb Flaxseed and Chia Overnight Oats.
Finding a good low carb replacement for overnight oats has been a mission of mine for a while now. While I love plain chia seed pudding, it doesn't quite remind of oats enough. To remedy that I have been playing around with adding flaxseed meal to my chia seed pudding to create a heartier, more oatmeal-like texture. While these definitely aren't oats, I do love the pudding-like consistency you get and the flaxseed has the same earthy, grainy taste as oats. I like to make this with raspberries but any fruit or berries would work.
Let's talk about the texture of this low carb oatmeal because it isn't going to be exactly like oatmeal. When chia seeds and flax seeds soak in liquid, they absorb it. The chia seeds will expand and take on a gel-like consistency. The flaxseed meal will also soak up the liquid. This will create something similar to a porridge. Some people don't mind the texture but it can be off-putting for others. You have to experiment a bit to see what you like.
If you don't like the texture of low carb oatmeal, you can play around with the proportions. Use more chia seeds if you like the texture of chia seed pudding. You can also use more liquid, to get a looser consistency, that is more cereal like. In my experience it may take some test runs playing around with the amount of liquid and sweetness to find a combination that you like. You'll see that there is yogurt in this recipe as well. Personally, I like the smooth texture it adds.
Can you eat oatmeal on a low carb diet?
Oatmeal is not traditionally eaten on a low carb diet since it is actually pretty high in carbohydrates. A one cup serving of oatmeal has around 27 grams of carbohydrates, which is too many for most low carb diets. To replace your daily oatmeal, you can make a low carb alternative like the one that is made with chia seeds and flax seeds. It is important to note that this recipe does have carbohydrates but there are only 16 net carbs due to the high amount of fiber. This can be lowered even more by using full-fat dairy and eliminating the raspberries.
Is oatmeal ketogenic?
Traditional oatmeal does not work for a ketogenic diet since it has too many carbohydrates and on ketogenesis diets, you are normally trying to eat low carb and high fat. This recipe for low carb oatmeal could work for a keto diet if you use full-fat dairy options and add extra protein with protein powder. You could also serve eggs on the side for the additional protein needed to be ketogenic.
Is oatmeal a good or bad carb?
Oatmeal is generally thought of as a good carb since it is packed with whole grains and fiber. It digests slowly and helps regulate blood sugar. However, if you are eating a low carb diet, then oatmeal has too many carbs and you will need to look for a lower carb option like this flax and chia "oatmeal."
Low Carb Oatmeal Topping Ideas
- Low carb fruit: Berries are the best option for low carb fruits. Use strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries to top your faux oatmeal. You can also mash berries into the recipe to add flavor like is done with the raspberries in the recipe below.
- Nuts and seeds: Most nuts and seeds are naturally low in carbs. Try adding chopped almonds, cashews, walnuts, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds to your oats. Many people also like to finely mince nuts and add them to low carb oats since it helps mimic the texture of the oatmeal.
- Coconut: Unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut chips are a great addition. You can also add whipped coconut cream.
- Full fat yogurt: Sugar-free or carb controlled yogurt is a way to add protein and sweetness to your low carb overnight oats.
- Low carb chocolate: There are a lot of low carb chocolate options out there and adding shaved chocolate or low carb chocolate chips is delicious with fresh fruit.
- Nut butter: Add protein to your oats with some nut butter. Use crunchy options to add some more texture to the oats.
- Sugar free maple syrup
Low Carb Oatmeal with Flax and Chia
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2/3 cup raspberries, divided
- 3 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. liquid Stevia (or other sweetener)
- Get IngredientsNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.