Curry Salmon Burgers made with just 5 ingredients can be made with fresh or canned salmon for a tasty, unexpected that's packed with flavor.
These salmon burgers seasoned with curry paste are so easy to make and so so good. The combination of the sweet salmon with the spicy curry paste just works. It feels like something from a fancy restaurant, but with just 5 ingredients, they actually couldn't be easier to make.
I am always on the lookout for delicious burger recipes and using seafood is one of my favorite ways to make a lighter burger. Like these shrimp burgers and fish burgers! This recipe uses salmon, prepared curry paste, and ginger to create a delicious, spicy burger that is perfect for a spring or summer gathering. They also freeze very well so make up a double batch and save some for quick meals later on.
As we continue with lots of pantry cooking, these salmon burgers should move to the top of the list since they can be made with either fresh or canned salmon. Scared of canned salmon? Don't be! It's a great, healthy, pantry staple that has so many uses. Curry paste is another pantry staple I recommend always having on hand. It is a simple way to add tons of flavor to anything from soup to stir-fries to burgers, like we are doing today.
The other great thing about this recipe is that it relies on heart-healthy salmon, that is packed with Omega 3 fatty acids, B vitamins, protein, and minerals. This makes it a healthy alternative to traditional burgers.
Can I use canned salmon?
Canned salmon is an affordable, pantry option that works great for salmon burgers. It can be found in most grocery stores and is a pantry staple that I always have on hand for quick burgers, salads, and more.
With that said, there are a few things that are important to consider when buying the canned salmon. Make sure to buy boneless and skinless salmon. In terms of taste and quality, I usually buy Wild Planet or Safe Catch canned salmon since it is safely caught and low in mercury. It is slightly more expensive but I find the taste and quality is really good.
What toppings to serve with salmon burgers?
- Avocado: To cool the heat of the curry paste, a sliced or mashed avocado is a tasty option that adds balance the dish. Add some lime juice and salt to the avocado before adding it.
- Yogurt Sauce: For another cooling element, you can make a quick yogurt sauce with fresh lime juice, lime zest, chopped cilantro, and garlic. Season with it with salt and let it hang out in the refrigerator for an hour if you have time for the flavors to combine.
- Fresh herbs: Fresh herbs are a critical element of curry and adding them on top of your burger is always a good idea. Start with fresh cilantro and basil. Consider adding mint. Then add some bean sprouts and lime juice.
- Quick slaw: Crunchy slaw make the best toppings for these spicy curry salmon burgers. Start with some coleslaw mix. Add yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, a touch of honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pickles: It's hard for me to eat a burger without pickles, so I love adding the crunch of pickles to this burger. If you can find Asian style pickles that's the best option. You can also quickly make your own by tossing some thinly sliced cucumber and red onion with rice vinegar and a touch of sugar.
Recipe Tips and Ideas
- This salmon burger can be made with fresh or canned salmon, whatever you have on hand. You can also make it with leftover cooked salmon, but add a little moisture with a spoonful of yogurt or mayonnaise to ensure it isn't dry.
- It is very important not to over-process the salmon. It should be slightly chunky still and not a smooth paste. Usually, I will pulse it 4-5 times only and find my salmon is broken down enough. If you do not have a food processor, you can finely chop the salmon, but you may need to add some breadcrumbs to hold the mixture together.
- If you find the parties aren't staying together, place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cooking. This helps them to bind and stick together.
- If you don't have salmon, you could make a similar burger with fish, canned tuna, or shrimp. You could also make chicken or turkey burgers.
- This recipe works with both Thai red and green curry paste. Curry powder is a completely different flavor profile and isn't recommended for this recipe.
Storage and Freezing
These burgers will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days once they have been cooked. Use the leftovers for burgers, salads, wraps, or tacos. You can also freeze the burgers for up to 3 months. Reheat them in a skillet over medium heat fro best results.
Looking for more salmon recipes?
Curry Salmon Burgers
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.